UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 757322  
Subject: We need more spending!!!!!! Date: 11/19/2012 8:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Massachusetts ranks first for economic opportunity, a survey from Harvard and Pennsylvania universities shows, while Maryland and Minnesota come in the top five. The study measures unemployment, household income and the ability of residents to increase their income. “The states that invest in their citizens...(have) better economies, which would go counter to the idea that we should strip down the size of government,” says one of the authors of the study.
---------------------------------------------------------
I saw this blurb on Seeking Alpha, i have a busy day of lawnwork & Christmas ornaments or i'd look up the study. I wonder if it was sponsored by Obama.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 655937 of 757322
Subject: Re: We need more spending!!!!!! Date: 11/19/2012 9:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I found the article:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-19/government-equals-g...

Government Equals Growth as Massachusetts Tops Ranking

Massachusetts ranked first in economic opportunity in a new index that bolsters President Barack Obama’s argument that government and education are essential for creating the conditions for growth.
---------------------------------------------------
Told ya.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 655945 of 757322
Subject: Re: We need more spending!!!!!! Date: 11/19/2012 10:46 AM
Recommendations: 2
The only reason MA leads in taxes and total income is that the state is known as Taxachussetts.....and you need a high income to afford to live there.

There's not a lot of smoke stack industry nor jobs for blue collar workers, other than as service folks for the 'rich' college educated folks in high paying jobs.

Not to worry, the new Obama Kare taxes on the medical supplier industry will hurt that industry and cause much of it to move overseas.

MD? MD has lots of high paying jobs, but folks are fleeing to lower tax VA...just across the river. and a lot of MD folks work for the government or government contractors, ripping off the taxpayers with a bloated bureaucracy at high salaries. My sister is one of them. Lives in MD but planning on bugging out in a year when she retires. Tired of the traffic and the high taxes. Her kids are gone..no reason to stay there.

I'll stick with TX..... and if you want college educated yuppie-ville with high paying jobs and a college town...move to Austin TX.....if you can afford it....

MA and mD? Wow... you can't afford most of the state....and if you move to the boonies, you still have high state taxes and not much of the way in benefits of the Nanny State.....

Plus...it snows blizzards in MA.....parts of the coast got wiped out by the last super storm.....they get NOr'easters.....

even worse..MD and MA are over run by dem welfare weenies and queenies.....and those enabling them.

t.

Author: MadCapitalist Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 655976 of 757322
Subject: Re: We need more spending!!!!!! Date: 11/19/2012 12:39 PM
I found the article:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-19/government-equals-g......

Government Equals Growth as Massachusetts Tops Ranking

Massachusetts ranked first in economic opportunity in a new index that bolsters President Barack Obama’s argument that government and education are essential for creating the conditions for growth.
---------------------------------------------------
Told ya.

It doesn't look like they give any details about the calculation. They just give a chart that says this at the bottom:

"Economic Opportunity is determined by using a constructed variable which includes: unemployment rate, median household income, and income mobility."

http://www.thestatesproject.org/economic-opportunity/

It seems like you get penalized for living in a state with a low cost of living. I live in NJ, which has a high median income, but it is expensive as hell to live here. My rent more than doubled when I moved to NJ from Raleigh, NC.

Also, I guess "economic opportunity" doesn't include an attractive business climate. For example, from the Bloomberg article:

"Yet Massachusetts ranked 22nd on the Washington-based Tax Foundation’s state business tax climate index. Wyoming, with no corporate or individual income taxes, placed first and New York, last, according to Richard Morrison, a foundation spokesman."

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement