Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
We own 1 rental single family home in California and 1 in Maryland. We currently live in California.

OK. So California will want tax on all of your worldwide income. You will probably get some credit for taxes paid to other states (like Maryland).

If we do 1031 exchanges for rental properties in say, Texas where there is no state income tax, will we have to pay state income taxes in California and Maryland on the exchange properties?

I don't know about MD, but CA will allow you to defer tax on any gain, just like the feds. But when you sell the replacement house in TX, CA will want their share of the deferred tax. And if you continue to be a CA resident, they will tax the whole gain, not just the portion deferred from the CA real estate.

We know that any Federal tax will be deferred, but, don't know about the state taxes.

Keep in mind that as a CA resident, CA will tax you on all of these properties, no matter where they are located.

Perhaps you are considering a move to TX sometime after the exchange. In that setting, you would still need to pay CA tax on the gain deferred from the CA house when you sell the replacement house in TX.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.