UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (59) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76421  
Subject: Re: Professional management Date: 7/8/2011 12:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
We pay someone to manage a portion of our assets. We had a couple of reasons for doing this.

- Since I manage all the finances, I wanted to be sure that DH would be covered if something happens to me, so I wanted someone on board so that I could do the test drive and make sure that he would have someone that would be suitable.
- As the numbers have gotten larger and we have gotten closer to retirement, I didn't want to mess up, so I wanted someone to help me.
- I'm getting tired of doing this, and I don't want to have to keep doing it to this extent in retirement, so it's a break for me.

We test drove one guy a couple of years ago who we picked over the guy I'm using now. It didn't take me long to figure out that was a mistake, so I took the account back for a few years, and then finally gave our IRAs to this guy to manage. He's got about 1/3 of our investable assets, and it's all tax-deferred money so that there are no tax consequences now when he moves money around.

I have been very pleased with this services, and can see myself moving taxable money to him at some point as well.

He works for one of the major brokerages, but his office is separate and I like his hands-on approach. If you were closer, I would recommend you talk to him.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (59) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement