Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
We plan to itemize our deductions for 2009 as we will be buying a house soon (closing in Jan/Feb). Even with mortgage interest, property tax, etc., I can only get my allowanced up to 5. That means I will still expect a significant refund in 2010.

Any ideas of how to fill-in the Form to get me up to allowances of 8-10?

What, other than the Kiplinger calculator, are you using to calculate the allowances for the W-4 where you only get up to 5? Here is a link to the IRS withholding calcultor:,,id=96196,00.html I have found it to be pretty accurate, as long as all the inputs are correct.

I don't know if the IRS calculator has been updated with the 2009 tax rates, etc. yet, but the great thing about the W-4 is that it's easy to make corrections multiple times throughout the year. So, you can change the W-4 allowances now, and then run the calculator again several more times throughout the year with updated information, updating the W-4 with your employer each time.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.