Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (52) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: mcjayjay Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19026  
Subject: Re: About to Take the Plunge Date: 12/16/1999 9:04 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
We retired 1 1/4 years ago, I at 50 1/2 my SO at 46. It was always a goal to retire early. My calcs dictated my decision. We had decided that when our portfolio reached a specified level and subsequent ROI that we could draw upon without diminishing our principal, we would take the step.

Since retirement I have monitored all expenditures to make sure that we have get real-time data rather than projections to ascertain my retirement calculations success or failure.

So far, we are OK, even with several unexpected expenses which depleted our years contingency.

Neither of us have pensions and we are certainly many years away from SS.

Of course we have had to alter our lifestyle somewhat, if I were to apply a percentage I would estimate 10%-15%. We no longer dine out 5 dinners each week, we have cut it back to 2-3. When we do we look at the menu pricing first, a new experience, with a "never-ending" source of income via pay it is easy to splurge without care. We continue to travel as we did before, as with dining we are more careful where we stay.

Commutation expenses are gone, but other household expenses have increased since we are home many more hours.

Approx. 50% of our mid-hi 6 figure investments are considered on the riskier side of conservative, the balance conservative. We have no auto loans, no mortgages, no credit card debt, actually no debt whatsoever. My SO was concerned that our holdings would diminish and in time we would have nothing, the kicker is that the port has grown.

Worst case scenario is that over 2-3 years my calcs would prove to be erroneous and the principal would be in jeopardy and I would have to re-enter the workforce at 52-54 years old for another few years.

My opinion is very simple;
As in all other things you do, success is the surely your ultimate goal, so it will be with retirement.

Enjoy what you have earned.

Jay
=o&o>
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (52) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement