UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DonnaPawl Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 31121  
Subject: Re: Japanese Beetle Attack Date: 7/6/2006 3:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
We use a spray on them too, about every 3 weeks through the summer. They seem to be prevalent in the whole neighborhood. Would milky spore do a bit of good if no one else uses it?

~~~~~~~~~
Mastiffmama,

Short answer: yes. The jury is still out on how far a Jap Beetle will travel. Most of my materials say they stay within a couple hundred yards of where they hatched/morphed, but a commercial tree care magazine I receive recently had an article indicating a range of just over a mile, IIRC. I'll re-read the article at home and report in again.

Meanwhile, on the Milky Spore debate, I'm a firm believer and here's why:

Moved into my home in 1970 and over the next couple of years planted a fair-sized rose garden. Also set up a nice vegetable garden. Then, slowly the beetle invasion began. After a few years of hand-picking / bagging / spraying during beetle season, they were still there and in larger quantities than ever before. Meanwhile, I had done battle with the voracious gypsy moth caterpillars using a biological spray called BT. It worked so well that when I read about Milky Spore I decided to give it a chance. Purchased the giant economy sized container (I have an acre of ground) and put out the spore powder using the grid pattern. I did this in the summertime. The next year, my Jap Beetle problem was less than half as bad as the year before and the year after that, I had almost NONE! Meanwhile, I also noticed a pleasant decrease in the number of 7 line bean beetles and potato beetles in the veggie garden, which was located along one edge of the back lawn. I should note here that NONE of my neighbors used Milky Spore. My yard and its resident "beetle attracting trees/shrubs remained blessedly beetle free for about 20 years on that one application. fast forward

In 2000, we started noticing the Jap Beetles on some of our plants again. Hand picked the ugly buggies for a couple of years as well as using the bag/attractants while I searched down a supplier of Milky Spore. Re-applied Milky Spore in the grid pattern in the spring of 2003. 'Tis now the beginning of beetle season here ... so far I have spotted 1 lone beetle.

Tell me, what other pesticide can you apply once and have it work for so many years? Hey, even if you have to do it 2x, it's still the cheapest game in town based on results.

DP
in Connecticut
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement