Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
We want to sell our stock in an American Mutual Fund (the IRA) and move all the funds to a self managed ING Sharebuilder Account we also have.

Suggest you check with your receiving broker--most brokers handle mutual funds anymore; many handle a broad range of funds. If your receiving broker handles the mutual fund that you have with your current broker, you shouldn't have to sell the fund shares and move the money--you should be able to move the fund shares intact.

The tax consequences of this are covered by the other respondents.

Eric Hines
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.