Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
We will be moving within a year as a condition of my husbands mew employment. We will only be moving about 30 miles from our current residence, but it's a requirement of his job that he live in the new county where his job is located (he will be an employee of the new county). He would not have been hired if he hadn't agreed to move.

Would our moving expenses be deductable?

Probably not, but the exact numbers needed aren't in your post. How far you move isn't the issue.

To meet the distance test, for which there is no non-military exception, your new job must be 50 miles further from your old house than was your old job. For example, if your husband's current commute is 3 miles and his new place of employment is 55 miles from your current home, you meet the distance test. If the new job is less than 50 miles from your current home, you're out of luck.

Details are in Pub 521.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.