UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: IslandFoolin One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: Wearing me down... Date: 9/4/2012 3:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings all,

I've gone from a constantly employed, frugal, saving and investment type of person a few years ago (I even won a TMF award here on the boards!) to a freelancer with a penchant for maintaining a lifestyle I'm unable to afford.

Needless to say, my savings and few investments that I've hung onto have suffered because of it. My debt to income ratio as well as my credit score (the saddest of the hits) are no longer sources of personal pride but rather dark wells of constant frustration and stress. I've reigned in my spending as best I can without slipping into a cranky depression or foregoing progress in my business endeavors. Could I do more to cut spending? Possibly, but not substantially so.

What's bugging me of late is that I feel stuck in APR's above 18%. In the next post in this thread you'll find a table of my current credit card & student loan debt (placed there for formatting reasons).

I'm currently enrolled in an AMEX hardship plan (such a great card company for consumers!). All of the other card companies have been repeatedly contacted for hardship assistance / APR reductions but none have budged or offered any kind of program.

I've read up on the pros and cons of various debt consolidation loans, however, with my current numbers I don't think I'd qualify for much. I belong to no credit unions.

My current plan is paying the minimum due on all cards, plus any extra toward principle on the Apple card. Once a card is paid off (Macy's for example), those monthly payments will be moved to the card with the highest balance/interest ratio (Apple). That trend will continue until all are paid off. It's a good plan and I'm happy with it, however the high percentage rates are killing me.

Part of the frustration is a vague notion that I don't have any recourse. That this is it, what I'm stuck with until I pay them down. I'm hoping to hear from you about whether you think this is the case and if not, what programs, plans, ideas, help you've used in the past or have heard about.

I appreciate all your time and knowledge.

Cheers,

iF
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement