No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a rather small issue at work regarding our website, at least I think it's a small issue. The person who is taking care of our website wants to store pod casts on the web server. The problem is there is just not enough hard drive space. I told him I could create a share on another server and he can store the pod casts there and just link them from the website to them. He told me it couldn't be done that way. Is it possible to do it that way?

Thanks,
Mike
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I have a rather small issue at work regarding our website, at least I think it's a small issue. The person who is taking care of our website wants to store pod casts on the web server. The problem is there is just not enough hard drive space. I told him I could create a share on another server and he can store the pod casts there and just link them from the website to them. He told me it couldn't be done that way. Is it possible to do it that way?

The way you've described it won't work, really, no, because the "share" isn't really web-accessible. However, what you can do, if your network allows this [I'm assuming your network and web site are all in-house, rather than on a shared host], is use that "share" as another web server. So, if your current web site is www.yourcompany.com, that one could be podcasts.yourcompany.com, which points to the second server. That way, you could link from your current web site to files on that second web server. This is basically what a lot of sites do for storing things like images -- some don't even use their servers, but they use another service such as Akamai to store their content (TMF does this, in fact -- some of their images are on g.fool.com, some are in Akamai, and some are on completely different servers from thos).

You might ask your web person if they could use a third party -- I've heard good things about Amazon S3 (http://aws.amazon.com/s3/), but it's not free.

dsbrady
However, what you can do, if your network allows this [I'm assuming your network and web site are all in-house, rather than on a shared host], is use that "share" as another web server. So, if your current web site is www.yourcompany.com, that one could be podcasts.yourcompany.com, which points to the second server.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well, that kinda puts me between a rock and a hard spot. The least cost would be for me to move some of my files to another server, after I make room on another server. I don't really want to do that though.Maybe I can get my boss to purchase another internal hard drive and store the pod casts there. Will it work if the pod casts are on a different partition, or can I nest the new drive inside the C: drive?

Thanks,
Mike
Could you have some server-side scripting in the page that would simply copy the specified file from the 2nd computer over to the web server, then serve it out and then delete it?

That way you would have all the files stored where there's room for them (on a secondary box) and, on the server, you'd need room for only a single file.
Well, that kinda puts me between a rock and a hard spot. The least cost would be for me to move some of my files to another server, after I make room on another server. I don't really want to do that though.Maybe I can get my boss to purchase another internal hard drive and store the pod casts there. Will it work if the pod casts are on a different partition, or can I nest the new drive inside the C: drive?

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, your original idea MIGHT work. Assuming it's IIS (Windows), you can set up a virtual folder in your web site that can point to another location. That MIGHT work pointing to a shared folder, but I'm not positive that IIS virtual folders can point to shares.

If not, an additional hard drive on the server itself would work -- using the virtual folder idea again (that should also work on Apache's web server).

dsbrady
No. of Recommendations: 2
I'm not sure what you are running as a web server. In Apache, you can do this if Apache has access to the share. You would need to change the Apache configuration file to include the directory. I don't know where this resides on Windows, I'm a mac/unix user.

Mike
Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, your original idea MIGHT work. Assuming it's IIS (Windows), you can set up a virtual folder in your web site that can point to another location. That MIGHT work pointing to a shared folder, but I'm not positive that IIS virtual folders can point to shares.

If not, an additional hard drive on the server itself would work -- using the virtual folder idea again (that should also work on Apache's web server).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry for nor responding sooner. I will do a little research to see if IIS can point to a virtual folder in another location, if not I will try adding another hard drive.

This seems to be the easiest solution for me in a more complicated situation.

Thanks,
Mike
Advertisement