Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2374  
Subject: Re: PU Bed Cover... Date: 6/27/2012 3:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
wecoguy:

I ran a canvas/upholstery division at my marine company and my advice is, if it is important to you, get it done by a marine canvas company. Reason one is you don’t have the tools yourself to make what is essentially a tonneau cover. Also you don’t have a supplier who can give you the material that’s rain/sun proof (doesn’t fade or rot). Do not use a drop cloth or old tarps: wrong material.

Snaps or grommets? Snaps. Reason is tightness of fit at vehicle speed. Same reason for not having tie-downs: air gets in an causes the cover to balloon and pulls heavily on other grommet areas which are, essentially, weak points.

Go to a marine canvas place and ask for samples of Sunbrella or similar. Lots of color choices and grades.

To make a good fit a pattern is made and the material cut to that pattern. Then it is sewn using HD sewing machines (specify sewing be done with automotive/marine grade thread that won’t rot in the sun) and the fit should be perfect.

Small point but obvious: making your own tonneau cover is like fixing a room in the house: your second room is always better than the first. When I hired our head seamstress who had a long experience in commercial work but not marine, it took her a month to turn out something that didn’t need redoing one way or another. She now can re-upholster and re-canvas a whole boat in a day or so and its experience that allows that. And, yes, she does covers for pickups. She was the one who told me some of the stuff above.

Price varies. Most canvas shops are $50-60 an hour and material at about $20 a square foot (depending on the canvas). It should take, roughly, five-six hours to pattern, cut, sew, install female snaps on the material, and drill the pickup for male snaps.

MichaelR
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

The Saddest Place on iPhone Day
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement