Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RedRaider04 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6773  
Subject: Wedding Present? Date: 1/29/2003 2:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey Fools!
My brother is getting hitched in April, and I wanted to set something up for their future kid(s) as a present. I have had people tell me to stick with what they registered for, but if they dont like it, I know theyll thank me later. And besides, I dont think them not liking it will be a problem. First off, I am a dripper...I have three drips, and I think they are one of the coolest things around. The problem is that I would probably have to set up two, one for him and one for her. Also, I dont know if there are many stocks that they would really love to keep track of or be interested in. Another thing is that it might be a little hard for them to understand and keep track of the paper work. What I would really love to do is set up some account (Education IRA?) and put an index fund in there for the time being. And for every birthday/Christmas/important event put 50 bucks in for the lil buckaroo(s). The problem (I think) is that they dont have any kids yet, and I dont know if they will for a few years. So what Im looking for is some sort of investment vehicle that I can do the index fund in. Thank you for any imput!

Have a good one!
Nealio...Lubbock or Leave It
PS-Cross posted on several boards. :-)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Crazyinlovefool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6177 of 6773
Subject: Re: Wedding Present? Date: 1/29/2003 3:21 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
7yrs of infertility speaking here. What happens if they don't/can't have kids? If you want to give them a gift, give it to them. Wait until they are actually here before you set up accounts for any children.

Crazyinlovefool

Author: RiverCityFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6178 of 6773
Subject: Re: Wedding Present? Date: 1/29/2003 10:01 AM
Give them a present that you know they will like, not one that you will have to explain and justify and that would make paperwork for them. Time enough to set up a college savings plan when they have kids (if they do).

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6179 of 6773
Subject: Re: Wedding Present? Date: 1/29/2003 10:49 AM
Recommendations: 3
I agree with the previous posters. You're giving them a wedding preseent, so it should be for them. When/if they have children, you can give the children gifts.

We had children after 5 long years of infertility, and it didn't help matters to have folks tell us how nice it would be if we had kids. It wasn't like we weren't having them on purpose, and the added stress was most certainly unwelcome. And, they may decide they don't want children. That's a perfectly good decision and is one they should be making for themselves.

As far as a DRP, I don't understand why you think you'd need to give them each one. Why couldn't you set up a DRP that's held jointly? All our brokerage accounts and DRP's are held jointly, so there's no reason you can't do it that way.

Or, you could set up a brokerage account and put an index fund in it for them to do with as they want. You can, for instance, just open an account with Vanguard or Fidelity and use one of their index funds, and you could add to that annually.

But I really don't think you should be giving them baby gifts for a wedding. You give wedding gifts for a wedding, and baby gifts at the birth of a baby. You wouldn't give a baby a wedding gift with the intention that they'll need it anyway somewhere down the line, would you? Same logic applies here, I think.

Author: reallyalldone Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6180 of 6773
Subject: Re: Wedding Present? Date: 1/29/2003 10:57 AM
Recommendations: 4
First off, I am a dripper...I have three drips, and I think they are one of the coolest things around. The problem is that I would probably have to set up two, one for him and one for her. Also, I dont know if there are many stocks that they would really love to keep track of or be interested in. Another thing is that it might be a little hard for them to understand and keep track of the paper work.

I very much agree with what everyone else has said. Give a wedding gift, not a baby gift. You're making assumptions on both desire and ability. Secondly, while you may be enthusiatic about DRIPS, assuming someone else wants to keep track of them is probably not a good move. I think if I truly hated someone, I should have given them a few shares of AT&T in about 1980 to drip.

My thoughts on gifts are to give someone something they really want and may not be able to afford. Someone I work with thinks that me giving my daughter her mess dress uniform for her last birthday was beyond weird but, you know, it fit that exact criteria. She really wanted it and couldn't afford it. it wasn't to "fix" her or teach her something or impose my values on her. Actually it was a relatively easy gift. If I had one more criteria, a great gift would be something hard to find along with the other things I listed.

rad

Author: jackcrow Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6183 of 6773
Subject: Re: Wedding Present? Date: 2/5/2003 11:06 PM
I'm a little late. So what else is new.

I agree with what has already been posted but there is no reason you can't share your enthusiasm for stocks with them. The hard part is finding the things that they are really into and picking a stock that fits. Take it far enough that you get the certificates not just an account somewhere. Give them something to open, hold, frame or file.

Maybe I'm wierd but I think it would be a unique and personal gift to find a stock for each or both that fits their interests. Why not help them start a nest egg.

jack

Author: serenity321 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6184 of 6773
Subject: Re: Wedding Present? Date: 2/8/2003 11:04 AM
Recommendations: 1
Why not give them a favorite investing book?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement