UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: meili99 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308519  
Subject: wedding thanks Date: 1/5/2006 7:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 82
about a year and a half ago, i was a new "fool" and solicited advice on how to finance a wedding. my original intent was to have a wedding for around $15,000 and after numerous suggestions (even a few harsh ones!) from many of you, my then boyfriend and i sat down and re-evaluated our plans. five months ago, we had a dream wedding for $3,000 and didn't accumulate any debt because of it. i don't know if any of you who gave advice are still reading, but i just wanted to thank you so very much for your advice. many of you on these boards are so helpful and encouraging: thank you.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: aroneous Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 217536 of 308519
Subject: Re: wedding thanks Date: 1/5/2006 9:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
If you get a chance, post some of the things you did for your "dream wedding" - there may be others planning weddings that might find your experiences/ideas useful

-a-

Author: BklynBorn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 217540 of 308519
Subject: Re: wedding thanks Date: 1/5/2006 9:26 PM
Recommendations: 0
Isn't it great when they come back and say thank you?

I was hanging around here for all of a month when you first posted about the wedding. I vividly recall the "shock and awe" response from the Board. Kept me coming back!

BklynBorn

Author: LaughingRaven Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 217556 of 308519
Subject: Re: wedding thanks Date: 1/6/2006 1:00 AM
If you get a chance, post some of the things you did for your "dream wedding" - there may be others planning weddings that might find your experiences/ideas useful

I, for one, would really appreciate that. My ladyfriend and I aren't planning anything yet, but in all likelihood, we'll be paying for it ourselves and would like to keep the debt to a minimum.

--
LaughingRaven

Author: DBAVelvet74 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 217604 of 308519
Subject: Re: wedding thanks Date: 1/6/2006 12:37 PM
I second the idea of posting some of the ideas.

I'm getting married in Aug. :)

Author: coolprash Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 217617 of 308519
Subject: Re: wedding thanks Date: 1/6/2006 2:18 PM
how about a link to the old post?

then we can read the suggestions too.

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 217619 of 308519
Subject: Re: wedding thanks Date: 1/6/2006 2:21 PM
how about a link to the old post?

then we can read the suggestions too.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=21902684&sort=whole

Nancy

Author: meili99 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 217620 of 308519
Subject: Re: wedding thanks Date: 1/6/2006 2:28 PM
Recommendations: 5
is this the appropriate place to post it or is there another board i should post it on?

here's the short version:

location: japanese gardens in a public park, free (only our families attended)
judge: friend of family, free
trolley to take us to and from wedding: $200
my dress: $80 at anthropologie
husband's outfit: $150 khakis and white linen shirt
bed and breakfast for nights before and after wedding: $400 but worth every cent
invitations for brunch: made them ourselves, a lot of time but only $500 (check out www.paper-source.com)
reception: brunch at our favorite brunch place for 100 people, high ticket item, $1,500
dinner for family night of wedding: $300
boat tour for family day after wedding: $300

a little over $3,000 but not by much! once i let go of the idea that i *had* to get married in hawaii, my husband and i were able to be so much more creative with what we had. for me, working on this with him made me even more sure that i wanted to spend the rest of my life with him.

thanks again to everyone for convincing me that extravagence does not = perfect ceremony!

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 217624 of 308519
Subject: Re: wedding thanks Date: 1/6/2006 2:52 PM
<<a little over $3,000 but not by much! once i let go of the idea that i *had* to get married in hawaii, my husband and i were able to be so much more creative with what we had. for me, working on this with him made me even more sure that i wanted to spend the rest of my life with him.
>>

To tyhe $12,000.00 you didn't spend, don't forget to add the money your family and friends didn't have to spend. Quite a tidy sum, I'd suppose.

May I ask if you have spent "that" $12,000 on something else, have equivalent savings for another purpose, or simply avoided acquiring $12,000 or so in debt?

On the whole, did this savings "cost" you anything in some tangible sense, or do you figure you are very happy with the plans you carried out?

Seattle Pioneer

Author: vsqueen Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 217625 of 308519
Subject: Re: wedding thanks Date: 1/6/2006 2:59 PM
Just for information purposes, the Fool has a wedding board.

http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?mid=23454605&bid=113553

It doesn't get much traffic, but if anyone posts questions or comments, people do seem to show up out of nowhere.

Wendy

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 217634 of 308519
Subject: Re: wedding thanks Date: 1/6/2006 4:57 PM
Recommendations: 1
about a year and a half ago, i was a new "fool" and solicited advice on how to finance a wedding. my original intent was to have a wedding for around $15,000 and after numerous suggestions (even a few harsh ones!) from many of you, my then boyfriend and i sat down and re-evaluated our plans. five months ago, we had a dream wedding for $3,000 and didn't accumulate any debt because of it. i don't know if any of you who gave advice are still reading, but i just wanted to thank you so very much for your advice. many of you on these boards are so helpful and encouraging: thank you.

Thanks for this post, Meili99! So often we'll all be sharing our thoughts on issues like this, but it's not as often where someone shares the final chapter. It's very refreshing to see the outcome and especially gratifying to see where the sharing of people in this community truly make a difference.

Congratulations on your wedding and for doing it so Foolishly!

All the best to you both,

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: Booa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 217641 of 308519
Subject: Re: wedding thanks Date: 1/6/2006 5:54 PM
Oooo, can I see a picture of the wedding dress? It sounds so cool! I love Anthropologie!

--Booa

Author: meili99 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 217652 of 308519
Subject: Re: wedding thanks Date: 1/6/2006 10:00 PM
Recommendations: 2
Oooo, can I see a picture of the wedding dress? It sounds so cool! I love Anthropologie!

i would suggest looking at it on the model (click on "view on model"). it's rather boring on the mannequin.

http://www.anthropologie.com/jump.jsp?itemID=5404&itemType=PRODUCT&iSubCat=317&iMainCat=314

as for the questions that seattle pioneer asked, we didn't actually have the money, so we simply avoided the debt. we are trying to pay as aggresively as we can on our cc and also contribute to retirement. i don't think our savings "cost" us anything. it was the right choice for so many reasons with absolutely no down-sides.

ps. humorous post at the end of the old thread! :)

Author: BklynBorn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 217653 of 308519
Subject: Re: wedding thanks Date: 1/6/2006 10:17 PM
view on model

Just for finding such a beautiful dress for such a great price at Anthropologie, you deserve extra Snowball Points!

mazel tov!

BB

Author: BklynBorn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 217734 of 308519
Subject: Re: wedding thanks Date: 1/7/2006 7:57 PM
Meili,

Did you notice the lovely balloons we paid to have placed next to your name today? Just to celebrate your Foolish wedding... We are a big-hearted bunch.

BB

Author: meili99 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 217803 of 308519
Subject: Re: wedding thanks Date: 1/8/2006 5:18 PM
Did you notice the lovely balloons we paid to have placed next to your name today? Just to celebrate your Foolish wedding... We are a big-hearted bunch.

:)

Author: Booa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 217897 of 308519
Subject: Re: wedding thanks Date: 1/9/2006 8:27 PM
Thanks for the picture, what a beautiful dress! And congratulations on your marriage and for working it out so you didn't end up in tons of debt because of your wedding! That's a fantastic wedding gift you gave yourselves, there! :-)

--Booa

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 217976 of 308519
Subject: Re: wedding thanks Date: 1/10/2006 2:21 PM
Mazel Tov! It doesn't seem like it's been a year and a half!

Fuskie
Who is now waiting for the announcement of little 99s...

Author: DizChick Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 218200 of 308519
Subject: Re: wedding thanks Date: 1/12/2006 8:54 PM

So what fantastic things have you and your new DH found to do with the $12,000 instead?

Congratulations!!

DizChick

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement