Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: psuasskicker6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2767  
Subject: Weekly Poker Date: 11/14/2002 7:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Only had five players tonight, which is the lowest number since we expanded our invite list (which now has about 11 or 12 people on it). I went into last night knowing how I'd made mistakes last week, and knowing what I needed to do to fix it. Additionally we raised the stakes from quarter/50 to 50/dollar. Last week (and some of the weeks before) we'd had stupid things going on like people blind raising and playing some hands blind. Increased limits tend to discourage this. It's no biggie if you're only losing 25 or 50 cents here or there. But when you start talking about one or two bucks a hand cause you're trying to be cute and not look at your hand, it gets to the point where you can get killed quick.

So I knew what I needed to do and I did it last night. I took three bad beats, on two because I read the player wrong, mostly because he (same guy on those two hands) didn't bet the hand the way it hit the board. A pair of aces came up and he was hesitant on the flop. Then a six comes on the turn and he bet it strong. He had a third ace which beat my two pair, which was higher than the two pair with the six that I figured he had. My other bad beat was the same situation. The third one was me underestimating the power the other person had...I had a great hand, the other guy had one a little better, it happens.

I ruled the table the rest of the night. I didn't bluff early, which meant when I showed down I was taking pots, which opened me up to be able to bluff later, which I started doing. I never bluffed too hard, figuring that if I took a loss on a strong bluff, I'd lose my respect, so I always folded if the opponent was representing power and wasn't going to fold on a bluff. I played last night about as well as I knew I could. After a $15 buy in for everyone, I cashed out up $28 on the night.

I've gotta play this way every night. It pisses me off even more when I think back to last Weds where I wasn't paying attention and lost because of it. I know I can play well, why don't I every time? Mental lapses annoy me...

Chris...sharing experience...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement