UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (41) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35367  
Subject: Re: Risks w/ municipal bonds? Date: 5/20/2009 1:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Weigh your options carefully. Discern need versus want.

jack

------------------

Argh.
Sounds like you are suggesting I keep hundreds of thousands of dollars in a money market at less than 1/2 of 1%.

What, exactly, would stop me from bailing on the GNMA fund any day it struck my fancy to do so? Or any bond fund, for that matter. On any given day I can be out of bonds and into stocks with a few clicks of my mouse button.

I guess I don't see the hysteria (or the tremendous losses) you seem to be alluding to. If the bond market heads south, I'll get out of it. How much can I lose in a bond fun in a single day or week? Do you think the bond market is really that unsafe?

I have to admit I'm very confused to the point of being paralyzed -- and watching my uncommitted hundreds of thousands languish in a money market. Somehow that just seems stupid to me.

I have, by the way, already admitted to easing back into stocks. But at my age (retired) I never want the stock portion of my portfolio to be the major part of my holdings. If people didn't learn a lesson from 1999/2000/2001 and 2008 then they will never understand that thinking. I, however, am a pretty quick study.

I lost more than I can to admit during that bubble-burst in 2000 -- so before the 2008 crash I was mostly out. AngelSpouse was completely out months before it crashed -- so between us we lost practically nothing this time around.

I know I need some stocks for growth -- but I don't want the exposure to be a major one...just in case the market takes yet another nosedive. I'd like to keep what I've worked so hard to get and husbanded through thick and thin for years now.

So when do you expect this bond market nosedive? And how much income will I be giving up to wait for it by remaining in a money market paying nothing? Would it really be a mistake to get what yield I can from a couple of bond funds? There has to be an alternative to .4X % (other than stocks). What do you suggest?

AM, running in a circle...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (41) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Clorox Isn't Cleaning Up
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement