Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1653  
Subject: weight lifting class Date: 1/21/2003 3:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Will cross post to Fools Fighting Fat.

I'm taking a weight lifting class at school this term. First class was today. There are about 5 women and 25-30 guys in the class, better ratio than I expected, actually.

Sooooo, by Thursday, I'm supposed to come up with goals so the coach can help us arrange an individualized plan. I asked how specific the goals should be. He wants as specific as possible. He said that if you just say "all over body fitness" then he'll do something for that, but if you have more specific goals, be as specific as possible.

So, my upper body strength goals are to do 10 military style, full body pushups and a wide-grip pull up.

I'm having trouble coming up with a lower body strength goal. I was thinking of squatting with a specific amount of weight, but I have no idea how much weight would be good to shoot for. Any ideas? 50 pounds? More, less? (oh, this is an 18 week semester)

Oh, and every class, we are starting with 5 sets of 35 crunches, adding 5 crunches per set every week until we reach 5 sets of 50. EEEK. I don't usually do that much ab work, thinking that my yoga stuff is probably enough.

Ishtar

Print the post Back To Top
Author: joebedford Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 624 of 1653
Subject: Re: weight lifting class Date: 1/21/2003 4:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
I'm having trouble coming up with a lower body strength goal. I was thinking of squatting with a specific amount of weight, but I have no idea how much weight would be good to shoot for. Any ideas? 50 pounds? More, less? (oh, this is an 18 week semester)

50 lbs. sounds low. 100?

Thanks!
Joe

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 625 of 1653
Subject: Re: weight lifting class Date: 1/21/2003 5:01 PM

50 lbs. sounds low. 100?

Does it? right now, I can barely complete three sets of squats with no weight or only about 10 pounds, and I'm female. Does it still sound low?

Ishtar

Author: joebedford Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 626 of 1653
Subject: Re: weight lifting class Date: 1/21/2003 5:15 PM
Are you talking about squatting 50 lbs., or doing three sets of 50 lb. squats? For three sets, 50-75 lbs. might be reasonable. I think you said you've got four months? I think?

Thanks!
Joe

Author: jjbklb Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 627 of 1653
Subject: Re: weight lifting class Date: 1/21/2003 7:30 PM
Be carefull of weight excercises that require you to lift weight off your shoulders from behind your neck.I messed up my rotator cuff by doing these over a period of years.

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 628 of 1653
Subject: Re: weight lifting class Date: 1/21/2003 9:54 PM

Are you talking about squatting 50 lbs., or doing three sets of 50 lb. squats? For three sets, 50-75 lbs. might be reasonable. I think you said you've got four months? I think?

Oh, I see what you're saying!!! Yes, four months. Thanks!

Ishtar

Author: Binturong Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 629 of 1653
Subject: Re: weight lifting class Date: 1/22/2003 8:54 AM
This may seeem foolish but a set of 12 squats is about 80% max. An increase of 15% would be reasonable in the first four months. So get a good base at 12 and just plug along. If you use a machine you can push a litle harder. Still I think 15-20 % is reasonable.

Part of your time will be spent teaching your brain form and the squat is not to be fooled with- as they say. Take it easy and it will come together for you.

Binturong

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement