UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: pleached Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6630  
Subject: Re: What's the most Linux-ready laptop? Date: 9/27/2012 11:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
weird that USB does not work. maybe change grub boot params to turn off ACPI? some hardware, especially if you go back a few years but even now, has buggy bios-es that don't do that right thing, which screws interrupts. you can try apci=off on the boot param list in grub and see if that doesn't help

webcams are harder. webcam vendors have been bad about opening drivers or even for tolerating people writing open drivers in some cases. I don't know why shops think that it is a win to make it hard for people to buy your product, but they do.

side note in the no-joke department: if you run linux and want to buy an album in mp3 format on Amazon, you can't just download all of the tracks at once. Rather you have to download them one by one. Amazon actively defeated workaround tools so to really enforce this ( I had been using clamz happily for a bit but no longer). the other day I wanted to spend over a $100 to buy all of Ryan Adams _Live after Deaf_ only to find that I'd have to download the 174 tracks one by one. Just because I use linux? I cancelled the order. I really don't get why vendors of any sort think it is a win to shrink their market. Doubly so when the market is predicated on open internet protocols creating the market in the first place ( as is the case for things like webcams and cloud retailing music ).

bluh...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement