Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (99) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1944  
Subject: Welcome Date: 2/11/2001 10:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Hmm ... it seems that now that I have this place, I'm not sure what to do with it. So instead of making any statements about what it is for, I'll tell you what it is.

This space is dedicated to the places in my memory where friends gathered; some invited, some just stopping in on the way to other destinations. It is the place we used to sit under the eaves, lush with flowers and hanging vine, fitted with comfortable chairs and always room for more.

It is a place for stories and recollections, questions and concerns, and laughter whenever possible. So if you are just passing by, please take a moment to pull up a chair and say hello. Introduce yourself, tell us a story, or just listen; be welcome, because of course, you are.

laurac

The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it. --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/12/2001 6:48 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This is a pretty comfy rocker you've got here. Antique?

You don't mind if I just drink a beer while I rock and watch the birds and chipmunks for awhile, do ya?

Draggon

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/12/2001 7:48 AM

Draggon? Wow, now howdya find me so fast?

You're a geek in training, arentcha? ;)

Thanks for coming over, though, and yeah, crack opena beer. You have your choice of chair: right now I've got my current faves: big, fat, leather club chairs, or those old, heavy mission rockers with the wide arms for settin' drinks on. Have at it.

By the way, what group are you 'team leader' of? Are you helping with a seminar?

laurac

Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/12/2001 8:26 AM
Shhhhhhhhhhhh!

I'm trying to relax! That team-leadering stuff is hard work!

Draggon

Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 6 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/12/2001 8:33 AM
Just kidding, Porto. :-)

now howdya find me so fast?

I read your reply on the computer helpdesk board, didn't know anything about you, so I read your profile, checked your last 10 posts, and voila! Here I am. Standard operating procedure for me when I find interesting fools.

You're a geek in training, arentcha?

I prefer to think of myself as an Geek in amateur status. As long as I don't accept any endorsements or pay for my services, I'll be able to maintain said status. :-)

those old, heavy mission rockers with the wide arms for settin' drinks on.

That one.

By the way, what group are you 'team leader' of? Are you helping with a seminar?

Yes, I'm Co-Leader of a group called Cheeper for the Motley Fool Beginning Investments seminar. It's been pretty interesting so far, but much typing. That's why I'm rocking, drinking and watchin' critters... ;-)

Draggon

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/12/2001 8:53 AM

you, are up late and up early. How the heck do you do that?

That one.

Yup, they're my favorites too. Used to have a real one, but left it somewhere during a move. Probably worth more than my portfolio right now, dammit.

Keep your amatuer status; it's less of a guilt trip when you have to answer 'I don't know'. That's part of the reason I don't stick my head up too much at HWTSC; I see a lot of stuff that I've dealt with before, but I can't remember how I solved it most of the time. Beyond that, there are just too many variables when you can't actually sit in front of the computer and look around yourself - I imagine that's why phone support people burn out so quickly.

Standard operating procedure for me when I find interesting fools.

Yeah, me too. I canned my profile & interview a few months back, and haven't felt like updating it since. Too bad they don't cache those, it made Profile of the Day or something when I first put it up. <sigh>

So, are you kind of new to the boards, or is it that your board just happens to be new? I stumbled on to yours in the first search I've done in years for fresh spots - trying to get out and 'meet' some fresh faces.
Your nick caught my eye, because the first guy who built our work network had a similar name, Dagon. Wacky guy, nearly a legend in our own minds. You don't have blue hair, do you?

laurac

Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/12/2001 12:19 PM
you, are up late and up early. How the heck do you do that?

You noticed that, eh? It's even worse than it looks. I went to bed around 11:45 last night and got up at 4:30 this morning. Not my usual routine, but I was "busy" playing CounterStrike when I should have been doing something (anything?) else.

there are just too many variables when you can't actually sit in front of the computer and look around yourself

BINGO! That's why I hate when friends/family call me about PC problems they're having. I don't know passes my lips more times than not. They don't understand that there are umpteen different reasons for the same symptom. They think you can just give them a simple fix and all is well... Little do they know... ;-)

So, are you kind of new to the boards, or is it that your board just happens to be new?

Why, did I screw something up? ;-)

No, I've been a Fool since the early days, posting every so often here and there, but my activity has definitely picked up in the last couple of years. The board was created because I had a PC problem I couldn't solve and searching the Fool for "computer help" and the like didn't result in any boards. An idea was born, I had the board created, advertised it on my other favs and was promptly reminded that there already exists a computer help board. Well, why didn't it show up??? :-) So, I tend to it when strays come through, because it pops right up when you search for "computer help". If necessary, I direct them to the pros over at HWTSC.

You don't have blue hair, do you?

Um, not last time I checked...

I'll copy and paste the story of my nick for you. It's short and boring, but here it is:

Big.

Scaly.

FireBreath.

Can't Spell.

Okay, the real story...

I've collected dragons in many forms for many years. When I first signed onto the internet way back in 1993, I was using my real name as my handle. It didn't take long to realize that that was not such a great idea, so I waxed philosophical, digging deep into the hidden meanings of my life and came up with the handle "Dragon". Of course, when I asked my ISP for it, it was already taken. Not to be dissuaded, I again dug deeply into my epicenter and came up with the little-known fact that you could spell Dragon with 2 g's and it would still sound the same! Voila, a Draggon was born.

Sadly enough, some other bum has beaten me to registering this handle at a few of the websites out there, so I also have the handle zDraggon at a lot of places.

More than you wanted to know? Excellent!

Take care,

Draggon

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/12/2001 8:38 PM
Good story.

My 'other' name - or one I went by when I first got a modem (2400bd) and got online, was zippy. Back then, I was on AOL, newbie of course. After 9 months with that ridiculous connection, I got out of AOL, upgraded, and got a local ISP. Probably the last place on the planet that 'zippy' was still available. I swapped over to portolano, after trying to open accounts as zippy at a few hundred places, and it always being taken. At the time, portolano was a rarely (if ever) heard word that I found in a history book, pretty much disused since ... um, the 1500's? (there is a small town that shows up in travel books, though). Now, the major domain names are taken, and it's starting to make the way through places like Yahoo, so I must not have been the only one who read that book. Either that, or a hell of a lot of people are lurking on these boards ;).

laurac

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/12/2001 9:26 PM
btw, I haven't noticed a problem with spelling, so far. Keep your firebreath to yourself though.

Hey, how'd you get into the semi-geek state? Spill.

laurac

Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 11 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/13/2001 7:46 AM
I canned my profile & interview a few months back, and haven't felt like updating it since.

I didn't notice whether you had a profile & interview before or not, but I just read your interview today.

Now, the amusing part is, we grew up to be dysfunctional dorks, and Bill's a really cool guy. Ya gets what ya asks for.

Now THAT's a funny story!

Draggon

Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/13/2001 7:48 AM
At the time, portolano was a rarely (if ever) heard word that I found in a history book

Okay, porto, you took me on a nice little "history of zippy", but you still haven't told me what the heck a "portolano" IS. :-)

Draggon

Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 13 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/13/2001 7:59 AM
I haven't noticed a problem with spelling, so far

For the most part, my spelling and grammar are exemplary thanks to http://www.m-w.com/home.htm (Did I hurt my shoulder patting myself on the back? ;-)

That was part of the joke of the bogus explanation of my screen name. See, "Draggon" is dragon, but misspelled. Get it? Okay, so it wasn't a great joke. Hell, it wasn't even a good joke. Now I'm not sure if it ranks "joke" status at all. Thanks a lot! ;-)

Hey, how'd you get into the semi-geek state?

Oh, that's easy. My mom used to complain about my tendency to take things apart. It didn't matter what it was, if it came apart, I was probably trying to do so. The cool thing is, I was usually able to get it back together in working order.

So, when I bought my first PC (Packard Bell 486 DX 33) back in Dec. 1992, it was only natural I would get inside it to see what was going on in there. Proprietary as it was, I was still able to make that box last by circumventing all of the onboard "stuff" and adding decent hardware. I'm a mechanical engineer by education, a civil/structural engineer by trade, and an IT wannabe.

I'm 35 now and seriously considering whether it might be worth it to get formerly edjumucated in computers. Of course, this is all probably just whimsy brought on by the fact that another company is buying the one I work for, we're losing 400 people to early retirement packages, and I feel that I may not be compatible with the new companies philosophies. It's just that a lot of the people that are jumping ship are IT people who are having no trouble finding other places to work. Talk about job portability.

Okay, enough rambling. I need another beer! :-)

Draggon

Author: TMFSelena Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/13/2001 8:29 AM
Hi, folks!

I'll pull up a chair on the porch, too.

Looks like this has the makings of a fine board.

(Porto -- if you want, you might announce your board on our "New Boards" board. I created that recently because I was annoyed at not having any good way to find new boards.) (It's here: http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?mid=14330042&bid=114866) (Of course, perhaps you don't want to announce the board too broadly. Up to you. :))

I'd like to hear more about the book whence "portolano" came, too. Has anyone read anything good lately? I recently finished "Behind the Scenes at the Museum," by Kate Atkinson, which was really good. Both comic and tragic.

Selena

Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 15 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/13/2001 10:04 AM
I'll pull up a chair on the porch, too.

Hi Selena! Fancy seeing you here. Okay, you have to 'fess up on how you found Port and I hanging out on the Porch. You need a drink or anything?

Has anyone read anything good lately?

Well, I'm up to page 46 in some Fool Tax somethin'-er-nuther Guide thing. I've been reading it every so often on my lunch breaks at work. Both comic and tragic also. ;-)

Draggon

Author: TMFSelena Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 16 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/13/2001 10:08 AM
<<Hi Selena! Fancy seeing you here. Okay, you have to 'fess up on how you found Port and I hanging out on the Porch. You need a drink or anything? >>

Well, a little bird told me. And I'll take a milk shake.

<< Well, I'm up to page 46 in some Fool Tax somethin'-er-nuther Guide thing. I've been reading it every so often on my lunch breaks at work. Both comic and tragic also. ;-)>>

Wow. :) I hope you're not reading it at night. It's surely hard to put down, page-turner that it is. The excitement will likely keep you up late. (Hey, and if you like it, perhaps you might consider putting in a good word for it on Amazon? :))

Cheers!

Selena

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/13/2001 10:17 AM

Now THAT's a funny story!

Yeah, I love my little bro. He just became a professional golfer this year, and even though I hate golf, I think it's really, really cool.

laurac

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/13/2001 10:29 AM

I'd like to hear more about the book whence "portolano" came, too.

Oh, boy. That name origin is a long story. I posted it once something like two years ago (have I been here that long?), so lemme see if I can save myself some carpal tunnel and find it.

The book is found it in is called 'The Discoverers', by Daniel J. Boorstin. It tells history is a little different point of view, by tracing the history of our basic concepts. It's divided into sections: Time, The Earth and Sea, Nature, and Society. Each section deals with the cultures and personalities who discovered and developed the concepts; for instance, the Time section follows the earliest methods of marking time via astrology, the creation of calendars and the spread of their use, the slow invention of clocks from sundials to water-clocks, to the spring clock and the portable clock (which then moves into the history of navigation via latitude and longitude).

Because the book follows discoveries worldwide, there is a fascinating amount of information on how these ideas developed, faded, and resurfaced in different countries. It's especially cool to note the difference in the timing of inventions between the far east and europe.

Anyway, portolano comes into the picture during the Earth and Seas section, following the spread of navigation and discovery of the world at the time of Henry the Navigator. In short, a portolano was a hand-made map created by sailors, to outline coastal regions for which there were no current maps (at the time the Catholic church outlawed geographic maps, for reasons it would take forever to type). So I liked it for the 'if you can't find a way already made, make it up yourself' value.

oy, even that wasn't short. I recommend the book, it's a big one, but a really interesting read.

laurac

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 19 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/13/2001 10:37 AM

Oh, yeah - I forgot to mention that one of my favorite things in the book are little tidbits of historical trivia. For instance, did you know that the Colonies were on a seperate calendar system from Europe during the 1700's? Made it quite a problem in the trade industry, since our calendar said ships would arrive or depart on day X, while in the european calendar it would be day Y. Seems to have been a case of pure stubborness; when Europe, including Britain, agreed to revise the calendar system to make it universal, the colonies refused to go along because of the long-standing political strife with King George.

They finally caved in around the 1770's, and in order to align with the European calendar (gregorian?), it was necessary to lose a couple of weeks. Literally, people went to bed on March 1st, and woke up with the next day being March 14th (dates not exact). Can you imagine that happening now? Wacky.

laurac

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 20 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/13/2001 10:40 AM
Hey Selena,

Thanks for reminding me of the Notable Boards link. That might be a good idea. I bookmarked it a couple weeks ago; thing is, there's so many interesting boards listed, my faves list got incredibly long and it's hard to keep up! ;) Good work, though. May very well be a good way to attract new people.

I've kept this place under wraps so far, but I'll probably send out notes to my 'regular board' friends soon. I'm just enjoying the quiet.

laurac

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/13/2001 10:47 AM
, it was only natural I would get inside it to see what was going on in there

Sounds like me, just a little different. I bought a Micron P200 when the 200's first came out (like, the same month - you don't even want to know what that cost, owee). I had decided to 'go PC', after having a Mac Performa for two years.

It was also the first version of NT to hit the market, and it only took me a week of not finding compatible software to decide to change to win95. Unfortunately, I didn't know what I was doing, and attempted to overwrite it - whoops! The next week I spent on the phone with tech support, learning how the OS systems work, and trying to straighten out the mess I'd made (also known as reformatting and starting over).

That was... 95, I think, and it's been downhill ever since. ;)

laurac
another round of beers and shakes?

Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/13/2001 11:15 AM
if you like it, perhaps you might consider putting in a good word for it on Amazon?

I wonder how much of it I'll have to read before I decide whether I like it and can offer a credible opinion on it??? Damn, now the pressure's on. In order to do much good, I'd have to review it before much longer. Usually, I like to procrastinate on taxes as much as possible and was planning on using the book to cram for the test the night before... ;-)

Draggon

Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/13/2001 11:17 AM
He just became a professional golfer this year

Really? You mean like PGA professional?

though I hate golf

Really? Now I'm not sure if we can be friends or not... ;-)

Draggon

Author: TMFSelena Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 26 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/13/2001 11:19 AM
<<I wonder how much of it I'll have to read before I decide whether I like it and can offer a credible opinion on it??? Damn, now the pressure's on. In order to do much good, I'd have to review it before much longer. Usually, I like to procrastinate on taxes as much as possible and was planning on using the book to cram for the test the night before... ;-)>>

No pressure! :) Feel free to NOT review it. By all means. I'd hate to make anyone rush through such a scintillating book...

Selena

Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 27 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/13/2001 11:28 AM
when the 200's first came out (like, the same month - you don't even want to know what that cost, owee).

Oh, I know, I know. After my 486, I built my second PC from scratch. It was the week that P166's came out. I still remember thinking $900 was a "great buy" for 16MB of memory. That is unbelievable to me now!

I've been building them and upgrading them since, but I've stayed away from the leading edge for economic reasons. My current rig is only an AMD K6-III 400. I think I've about maxed out my Socket7 board... ;-)

I see new upgrades coming on the horizon. I'm not getting the frame rate I need in CounterStrike... LoL.

Draggon
I'll have a glass of water this time. I'm still a little parched...

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/13/2001 7:03 PM
Really? You mean like PGA professional?

Well, yes, although it's a really wierd system that I only know because he's been telling me about it as he moves through it. He started golfing about ten years ago, after - get this - finally giving up motorcross. (where do those two things come together?) He became an above-average player pretty fast, and decided to quit his job and work at a resort, which was right next to his home. In order to 'move up', he needed to complete the USGA pro course, which makes you eligible to work as an official 'golf pro', and play in officially sanctioned events, and also is the first step to moving into some of the management areas of the resort.

What it takes to finish the program, is playing at specific events and completing the courses under a set score (or par). You have to play at different courses, and sign up ahead of time, with playing and registration fees that run pretty high - as much as $400 each. If you don't make the score, you get to try again after X amount of months, but you keep paying each time. Once you've completed these tournaments, then you are in a sort of 'apprentice' program, where you take some sort of written or classroom courses over the next two years, interspersed with actually going out and joining tournaments set up within the program (these include travelling to other states to play at different clubs and courses). When all is said and done, then you are officially a 'golf pro'.

I think it's odd, since you never really hear of what it takes to get into that kind of job. Doesn't seem like the path the tv pro's take, but then I wouldn't have any idea how they get 'qualified', since I don't follow the sport. The above is just my hackneyed retelling of what my brother has explained to me. He got stuck for a long time in the first tournaments, because he's really, really terrible at any kind of 'test' environment - freezes up and just blows it. Wierd thing is, most of his co-workers would quickly say he was one of the best players, and he wins all the time at tournaments put on solely for members of his own resort. So I heard this all when I occassionally made 'chin up' phone calls to him.

Myself, I just don't see whacking a tiny ball at a tiny cup a true sport. No breaking a sweat, no sport. But really, I don't care.

laurac

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 64 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/14/2001 1:58 AM
PINNY!!

Hey, it's so cool to have you here! Pull up a chair, have a drink, and game-out. You must have seen my list, so you know I'm clueless on the new stuff. Doesn't hurt to hear about it though, I'm still considering The Longest Journey.

Hows HK?

laurac
Oh, I'll probably answer later though, I have to be up in 5 hours, so I'm heading for bed. Give us a good HK story or something.

Author: Trick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 68 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/14/2001 3:21 AM
Anybody play HomeWorld? It's similar to AOK in some ways, but in space. No trebuchets, though.

Rick

Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 72 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/14/2001 7:56 AM
Hey, PS, fancy meeting you here!

I'm still working my way through single-player ½life.

I was, too, until I played CS the first time... Now everything else I was dabbling in has taken a "temporary leave of absence". (Diablo II, No One Lives 4Ever, Half-Life, etc.)

great board, port

Okay, tell us how you found it. I could guess, but I'd like to hear the details.

Draggon

Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 73 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/14/2001 8:00 AM
I only found out about this board when I saw your list over on the Computer Games board

Okay, forget my last post. I'm going to have to learn to use that "Reply Later" feature in order to quit embarrassing myself. :-)

Draggon
Maybe that last beer was one too many?... Nah, I'll go get another.

Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 74 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/14/2001 8:02 AM
It's similar to AOK

To be honest, I'm still not sure what AOK is?

Draggon

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 80 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/14/2001 10:33 AM

No-one in their right mind would pay the $5K or $6K they blew on Compaq Deskpro 386/25s or their equivalent ten years ago

Crap, I paid that much five years ago. It was the SCSI, I'm blaming it all on the SCSI stuff.

laurac
sometime a spending dummy. Loved the computer though.

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 81 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/14/2001 10:44 AM
You're very good at making folks feel welcome, here. Got any chips and dip? Actually, I only found out about this board when I saw your list over on the Computer Games board. I thought to myself "My goodness, I haven't seen *her* post in a long time! And what an odd place to post, too..." So I checked out your last 10 and Bob, as they say, is your auntie's live-in boyfriend. I hope I've not been too presumptuous in inviting myself over.

Chips and dip, and anything else you'd like, and of course you are welcome here. Have a drink, there's probably the fruity mix and teeny umbrellas you like too.

I saw you on the CG board too, and realized I hadn't seen you much anywhere else. I was kinda hopin' you'd make the link. I'm not sure my type of adventure gaming is followed over there.

Oh, and by the way, I've heard awesome things about The Longest Journey. Want to fill us in on what it's about?

As far as I know (I read the previews about two months ago, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong), the idea is that there are two parallel worlds, one dark and semi- Blade Runner-sh which is the 'normal' world, and another parallel but totally seperate one that is much more... extensive? Mystical? Anyway, the lead character is a young, college age girl, kind of the typical boheme chick, she might even work in a coffee house or similar place. She discovers that she has the ability to move between both worlds, and that there are events/things happening that may lead to the destruction of these worlds. So it's her adventure to figure out the ropes and defuse things.

That's really general, but like I said, it's been awhile since I read about it. There was a lot of hooha about the graphics and gameplay, which were supposed to be great (isn't that true of almost every pre-release review these days?). I've seen a good number of people on gamer sites saying they like the game, and that the character development for the lead is better than Lara Croft, but I don't play Tomb Raider so I couldn't say for sure. I think it's less of a shooter game than Tomb Raider, but not completely in the adventure/puzzle game arena I'm used to.

Now I gotta go check that out again.

laurac

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 83 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/14/2001 10:52 AM
To be honest, I'm still not sure what AOK is?

did anybody answer this yet? AOK is Age Of Kings, either a Civilization-type game, or an insidious drug aimed at keeping the adult population up too late, depending on how you look at it.

I don't play, but Pinny and Trick and quite a few others were pretty big on it last year.

laurac

Author: SmrtAss Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 102 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/14/2001 5:53 PM
It is a place for stories and recollections, questions and concerns, and laughter whenever possible. So if you are just passing by, please take a moment to pull up a chair and say hello. Introduce yourself, tell us a story, or just listen; be welcome, because of course, you are.

Hi, Port. It's great to see you again. I've marked this board in my favorites and I'll enjoy reading and contributing. Thanks.

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 106 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/14/2001 7:48 PM
As for the anti-FPS bias, I think most strategy gamers consider it to be mindless, pointless violence. To a certain extent that's right. But what are computer games meant to be if not FUN? For those who like the adrenaline rush (like me) it's the perfect way of letting off some steam and having fun at the same time. So I'll just continue playing and posting about UT and Q3A and Serious Sam over at the Computer Games board and see if I can't score some like-minded souls along the way.

I can't put a finger on why I dislike FPS games so much - mostly, I just find them boring. Which is odd, since my all-time favorite arcade game is a total mindless shootout, Maximum Force. Maybe it's the difference in actually being able to hold an (albeit plastic) gun and pretend you're aiming? Dunno. The fun just doesn't transfer to pc games for me.

I can do puzzles for days though, which IMO is probably just some deviant form of solitaire addiction.

laurac
one umbrella or two?

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 121 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/14/2001 8:52 PM

I can feel myself getting the vibe again - anyone want to hookup for online AoK?

I remember that - you guys were talking about it forever on Lisa's board. You have to get Trick in on it, he's got a super-fast internet connection that would be fantastic.

laurac

Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 124 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/14/2001 8:58 PM
most strategy gamers consider it to be mindless, pointless violence.

My favorite argument to this is "Yeah, so?" ;-)

those who like the adrenaline rush (like me)

And me!

But, as you can tell from my list on the CG board, I run the gamut on computer game genres (genrii?)

Jack of all trades, so to speak, and master of none.

Draggon
Wishin' there were more of me, so I could play them all at the same time!

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 126 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/14/2001 9:02 PM
Wishin' there were more of me, so I could play them all at the same time

After that '13 guys on a peer network' scenario you told me about, I almost want to find an Anonymous group to send you to. Is there a Gamers Anonymous?

Jack of all trades, so to speak, and master of none.

Volcano Suns?

laurac

Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 127 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/14/2001 9:12 PM
I almost want to find an Anonymous group to send you to.

And then depression set in... ;-)

Hi, I'm Ron, and I'm a Gameaholic!

HI RON!

Draggon

Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 152 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/15/2001 7:45 AM
LoL! I almost slipped and recommended this post.

Wanna be the first so you can build a Counterstrike team of Draggons?

That could be interesting. We (what's the plural of I? Think about it) wouldn't be able to enter any 'clan tournaments' though, since we would SUUUUUUUUUCK! I get spanked a lot, but I still love the game.

Draggon

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 175 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/15/2001 1:18 PM
I can feel myself getting the vibe again - anyone want to hookup for online AoK?

I remember that - you guys were talking about it forever on Lisa's board. You have to get Trick in on it, he's got a super-fast internet connection that would be fantastic.

I've got a fat hairy pipe (DSL, that is) too, but there's only one problem - I'm absolutely dreadful at AOK. It's fun, but I suck, so I only play at the easiest two levels.

JT

Author: tkshades Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 197 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/15/2001 7:01 PM
Hello, laurac, my name is shades, and I'd like to join you. Thanks for putting out such a nice welcome mat. How do you prefer to be addressed? You sign your name as laurac, but others address you as Port or Porto. I'll tell a story later, right now I have to go get my hair cut.

--shades

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 200 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/15/2001 7:30 PM

shades, I think I knew you a while back, but I can't put a finger on it... have to go over the that other thread on old posts and look you up.

Meanwhile, make yourself at home. I sign off laurac, because that's my name; but I like port or porto, too. Laurac is a just a bit formal, I think that's why folks use my 'handle', and I do too. Whatever feels best to you is fine.

Let us know how the haircut turns out.

laurac
nobody say 'mullet'

Author: Trick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 201 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/15/2001 7:34 PM
Are you home already? Slacker.

Rick

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 204 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/15/2001 7:41 PM
Slacker.

Yeah, but I'll make up for the slack by getting a much lighter paycheck this time around. Oh well.

Got off early for a doc's apointment. Good thing, too, I was getting nowhere on my projects today. I have officially rebooted a computer more times than McDonalds has flipped a burger.

laurac
over 30 billion served

Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 205 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/15/2001 7:44 PM
Good thing, too, I was getting nowhere on my projects today.

I know how you feel. My company is in the middle of a big buyout and as the new leaders are holding their reorg meetings, rumors are flying. I'm getting a little disillusioned by some of the stuff I'm hearing, and have had a hard time focusing on work this week. Probably obvious by my posting at all times of the day... :-)

Anyway, I took a 1/2 day off today to help with the burned out feeling.

Draggon

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 212 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/15/2001 8:14 PM
I know how you feel. My company is in the middle of a big buyout and as the new leaders are holding their reorg meetings, rumors are flying

Aw, draggs, I feel for you. I survived 2 of 3 reorganization and layoff runs at The Prudential, and it's demoralizing, to say the least.

Hang out and relax, that's what this place is here for. Tell us about it, if you feel like it.

laurac

Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 218 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/15/2001 8:29 PM
Tell us about it, if you feel like it.

I've written a little about it on the individual stock boards involved. Neither of them are extremely busy. AES is buying IPALCO, the utility I work for.

AES:

http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=100260

IPL:

http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=104866

I've reread the posts a few times, and I can definitely see some mood swings... LoL

Draggon

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 228 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/15/2001 8:43 PM

hey, if I don't comment on this for awhile, it's not because I'm not interested, but that I'm going to go read them. Back in a while....

laurac

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 229 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/15/2001 9:12 PM
Draggon,

Is there any way you can nutshell this for me, since I'm unfamiliar with utilities in general, and the two companies in particular?

This I find frightening:
"They've also stated that they have no centralized IS or IT department (making many people very nervous), no need for Oracle (we spent the last 2-3 years in a very painful ongoing transition to this software)..."

but it's my professional POV saying that, and I could be taking it out of perspective.

laurac

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 237 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/15/2001 10:26 PM

it reminds me of the groundhog character Portnoy from Bloom County.

I never thought of that. I love Bloom County, but had kind of forgotten about it.

No offense taken, heck, I wouldn't mind if it made you think of Opus.

laurac
Oliver Wendell Holmes in training

Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 248 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/15/2001 11:47 PM
and I could be taking it out of perspective.

I doubt that you are. AES's non-traditional management philosophy has been the subject of several articles in different business magazines. They believe in pushing the decision-making down to the lowest levels, which sounds like a good thing on paper... But you've known some of the people at 'the lowest levels' just as well as I have! ;-)

It IS frightening. I've already lost several friends and mentors either to the retirement package or to ship-jumping. Personally, I'm starting to feel really, really pigeon-holed in my career. I'm a specialist, whereas the new company believes everyone should be 'generalists'. Not trying to protect my turf or anything, but I don't know how you could be a generalist and do what I do!

That's part of my problem. If I find that I hate it here, my career path is severely limited. I could go about anywhere in the world to do what I do, but the other half of the problem is that wifey makes damn good money at her business, too. She's a self-employed real-estate appraiser and has a clientele and all her licensing requirements already taken care of here. If we packed up and moved, it would take her years to get to where she's at now.

Draggon
Another Shot and I'm outta here!

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 252 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/15/2001 11:56 PM

Another Shot and I'm outta here!

Go to sleep, Draggon. I'm thinking of a reply, but it'll take awhile to put together more than a sentance or two.... as a matter of fact, maybe I should head for the sack too.

laurac
yawn

Author: aps3 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 262 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/16/2001 5:13 AM
I never thought of that. I love Bloom County, but had kind of forgotten about it.

Do you ever see Berke Breathed's occasional cartoons or columns for the Times or PI?

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 263 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/16/2001 8:30 AM
Do you ever see Berke Breathed's occasional cartoons or columns for the Times or PI?

I don't remember any, offhand. I read 'Outland' for a while, and occassionally (sp) have seen strips that looked an awful lot like his style, but I don't know if he used pen-names or not.

Somewhere I had one of the compilations, which has probably disappeared by now. I'm pretty sure I do still have the floppy single of Billy and the Boingers.

Miss that strip; he reminded me of Doonesbury in the social/political commentary, but more playful and less serious.

laurac

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 265 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/16/2001 8:35 AM
Hey aps -

About 5 inches of snow on the ground in Seattle today. Woohoo, now I don't mind those snow tires I bought.

Looks like I'm headed for Stevens Pass tonight to teach a co-worker snowboarding.

laurac
Lesson 1: the ungraceful faceplant

Author: aps3 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 266 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/16/2001 9:06 AM
About 5 inches of snow on the ground in Seattle today. Woohoo, now I don't mind those snow tires I bought.

Woah; pretty serious for this time of year! I didn't hear anything yet on the radio about schoolteachers burning the kids' desks to keep them warm, so things must be somewhat under control.

I find that boarders tend to pick up on that one pretty quickly.

Is it just my imagination, or do boarders actually take longer to get up after a fall than skiers?

There was a car page section somewhere around here recently advocating Gen U Wine snow tires instead of all-season radials. Made sense to me, but too much hassle to get another set of rims.

Reminds me, I noticed last night the mustang's spare has a 3" slash through the sidewall. Hope I do something about that before I need it...

Author: Trick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 268 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/16/2001 10:11 AM
Reminds me, I noticed last night the mustang's spare has a 3" slash through the sidewall. Hope I do something about that before I need it...

I didn't so anything about mine for two months and yesterday I had a blow out driving down the highway. I suggest you change your tire before than happens.

Rick

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 270 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/16/2001 10:16 AM
>>I'm absolutely dreadful at AOK. It's fun, but I suck, so I only play at the easiest two levels.<<

Hey, then let me spank you without pants. Actually, if you like, we could team up against the computer if you like.

That does sound like fun (the team up against the computer part, not the part without pants) - when do ya wanna do it, and do I need access to some gaming thing, like MSNZone or something?

JT,
about to get cold-cocked, 6-with-a-Glock-style (would that be cold-Glocked?)

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 272 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/16/2001 10:24 AM
For some reason, I prefer using "port" because it reminds me of the groundhog character Portnoy from Bloom County.

HA! I love Bloom County!

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 273 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/16/2001 10:29 AM
Draggon about Mrs. Draggon:
She's a self-employed real-estate appraiser and has a clientele and all her licensing requirements already taken care of here.

Wow, that's what my brother does! Coincidence???

JT

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 274 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/16/2001 10:34 AM

If you need a consultant for that, you know where to look.

JT,
'course with me it's skis instead of a snowboard - I'm just not to that level of coolness yet

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 278 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/16/2001 11:43 AM

I didn't so anything about mine for two months and yesterday I had a blow out driving down the highway

I didn't realize you were on the highway. You didn't fishtail all over, did you?

Having a blowout in heavy freeway traffic is something that hasn't happened to me yet, but the thought of it kinda freaks me out.

laurac

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 279 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/16/2001 11:47 AM
heavy freeway traffic

Do they have that in the PNW?

JT,
"Why is it Rush Hour when everyone's going so slow, and it lasts much longer than an hour?"

Author: aps3 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 280 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/16/2001 11:53 AM
<heavy freeway traffic>

Do they have that in the PNW?

Last I heard, Seattle was behind only LA, NYC, and DC for worst traffic in the country.

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 281 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/16/2001 12:01 PM
Last I heard, Seattle was behind only LA, NYC, and DC for worst traffic in the country.

I think it pales in comparison to Chicago, Atlanta, and LA, where driving in rush hour can truly be hairy (okay, I was a tourist-driver in Chicago, and as a matter of fact it scared the pants off me). But if you've lived in the PNW and haven't had to drive in these other cities, then yeah, it sucks eggs.

Despite a few high-profile cases of road rage that have been in the news, overall I think the big difference is a lack of real 'rudeness' among drivers in the PNW. Sure, there are some; but you just don't get the level of honking, impatient, aggressive drivers that there are in L.A. and other places.

Could always change though.

laurac

Author: aps3 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 282 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/16/2001 12:22 PM
Despite a few high-profile cases of road rage that have been in the news, overall I think the big difference is a lack of real 'rudeness' among drivers in the PNW.

If anything I think that's the root of the problem; the study that listed Seattle as 4th worst was based on mean traffic speeds during rush hour; Seattle-ites' terminal politeness/indecisiveness at 4-way stops alone could easily skew that figure so that a generally non-harrowing driving experience still stands out as statistically unpleasant...

How anyone could consider any traffic as remotely comparable to Boston's, I'll never know. Our recent holiday excursion through NYC and Boston gave me the starkest comparison I ever hope to have of how utterly insane Boston drivers are. And to think, I grew up as one! I have totally lost it.

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 285 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/16/2001 12:41 PM
And to think, I grew up as one! I have totally lost it.

Me too. I've driven rush hours regularly in Los Angeles, Houston, San Francisco, and Atlanta, and no matter how many people complain about the growing problems in Seattle, I still think there's just no comparison. It's totally mellowed my ability to deal with fast, heavy traffic, and the wake-up call was that week driving around Chicago. Yuck.

The one thing I've never figured out about Seattle, is why they aren't masters of driving in snow and rain. Snow is not all that common since it's at sea-level, but hardcore snow-driving is only 45 minutes away. Rain is around all the time, so you'd think everyone would be great at driving in it, however that doesn't seem to be the case at all. LA drivers really can't handle rain, so there are worse, but I just thought Seattle-ites(is that the right way to spell that? 'Seattlites' looks very wrong) would be better than they are.

laurac
the city of Chicago itself is very cool

Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 310 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/17/2001 1:26 PM
Draggon about Mrs. Draggon:

Actually, it's 'shedraggon'. ;-) She just started on the Fool boards and is currently only posting on the Beginning Investments seminar board.

Coincidence???

Hmmmmmmmm.... Could be!

Draggon

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 311 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/17/2001 1:33 PM

She just started on the Fool boards and is currently only posting on the Beginning Investments seminar board.

Did you convince her to start posting on the message boards?

I was just thinking that it would be great to get my little brother on TMF, maybe participating in some of the golf related boards. Of course, that would include actually getting him to sit down and USE his computer, which is a little tough in itself. S'funny, his wife has been working for Compaq for more than ten years, yet neither of them spend much time on the internet at all. As a matter of fact, I just realized I can't find their email address anywhere (nuts) to send them a link (unintended pun, sorry).

These forums are so great for 'networking', I'm always shocked at how hard it is to get people here, but I guess to each his own. I don't golf, so I can't be hard on them for not 'messaging'.

laurac

Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 316 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/17/2001 2:31 PM
Did you convince her to start posting on the message boards?

Yeah, I've been trying to get her on the boards and to learn some investing basics (in case I croak, for instance) for years. When I started co-leading this beginning seminar, her interest was finally piqued.

I'm hoping the message board thingie catches her interest. There is so much more out there than television. I'll just have to make sure I don't teach her about that 'last 10 posts' trick. She might find out where I've been! ;-)

Draggon

Author: Jeffie4 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 424 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/19/2001 5:05 PM
Recommendations: 1
Oh, goody, look at all the old friends. Thank you for the invitation, port. I am very happy to be here. I'd like to sit on the railing with my back against this post, if that's all right. I'm thinking of a story, but I want to get caught up first. There are so many interesting conversations going on!

Jeffie

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 426 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/19/2001 5:27 PM

Hiya, Jeffie.

Glad you finally made it! Make yourself comfy and take your time, we're not going anywhere as long as MJ keeps passing around the drinks (and the nice compliments).

Watch out for the hose.

laurac

Author: MJStone Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 429 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/19/2001 6:02 PM
MJ keeps passing around the drinks (and the nice compliments).

Watch out for the hose.

Libations!, Compliments!

Get yer libations and compliments here!

MJ
Time for a little Amber Bock.

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 431 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/19/2001 7:11 PM
MJ
Time for a little Amber Bock.

Sam Adams for moi - there isn't any of his Winter Lager is there? That's yummy.

JT,
Woohoo - no class tonight for Pres' Day!

Author: MJStone Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 432 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/19/2001 7:52 PM
Sam Adams for moi - there isn't any of his Winter Lager is there?

What do you know, last one.

It was kind of funny. I was out with some friends the other night, and one of them ordered an Amber Bock. Ten minutes later, the waiter comes back with an O'Douls Amber.

Then he gave the guy a really wierd look when he said that he didn't want that, he wanted an Amber Bock. The waiter said, "that's what I brought." Nice try, but not quite.

He (my friend) said "nevermind, bring me a Budweiser instead."

The waiter rolled his eyes and took the O'Douls back.

Didn't leave him much of a tip.

MJ
Boy, wasn't that a beautiful sunset this evening?

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 433 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/19/2001 8:23 PM
Boy, wasn't that a beautiful sunset this evening?

Yeah, kinda nice the way the sun is reflected off the fish pond. :)

Hey - here's an interesting (at least IMO) thought:
what do you guys think the view is like? I mean, I have this place all mapped out in my head, because when I thought of it I was actually thinking of one or two particular houses where I did usually meet with friends. So I have my own picture going.

What's yours? I'd be interested to see what we all come up with.

laurac

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 440 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/19/2001 8:52 PM

I'll just be sticking with the Anchor Steam, if that's ok with you.

Ew. Once I got out of San Francisco and had PNW beers, I never went back to that stuff.

laurac
Then again, once I became a wimp, I switched over to bud light, and now I can't go back. <sigh>

Author: Trick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 441 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/19/2001 9:00 PM
Ew. Once I got out of San Francisco and had PNW beers, I never went back to that stuff.

I know! (But I guess they don't. Maybe it's like people who think Starbucks is great.<g>)

Glad to hear you are cheered up.

Rick

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 442 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/19/2001 9:06 PM
Glad to hear you are cheered up.

Thanks. It's inevitable, I guess: I do love my job.

Btw, for any casino-lovers out there, we have a vegas related contest going this month. Could be fun, if you're interested - but no free trips to the winner, just the usual silly stuff.

It's here: http://www.mcphee.com/contest/index.html

laurac

Author: beagmaster Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 460 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/20/2001 9:03 AM
Then again, once I became a wimp, I switched over to bud light, and now I can't go back. <sigh>

A wimp drinking bud light on the porch? Now you've made me think of an acquiantance who hasn't crossed my mind in a very long time. Crazy Ann, superhuman party babe, smoker of camel straights and drinker of tequila with Molson chasers (sort of a one woman Nafta, before her time), whose favored phrase for berating the lesser mortals who couldn't keep up with her was:

"Puppies on the porch. Big dogs in the house."

Mark,
on the porch drinking Special Ex Light these days

Author: RSimm76 Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 461 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/20/2001 10:09 AM
What's yours? I'd be interested to see what we all come up with.

Laura,

It's a log and stone cabin about 20 feet above the water with a covered porch 12 feet deep across the front and 8 feet deep down the entire right side leading to the gravel drive, with stairs and a path down from the same side to the rocky beach and dock, looking west up Lake Lure toward Chimney Rock -- deep green water surrounded by deep green hills that make countless quiet coves. Inside the door is a large room glowing in yellow lamplight where people gather on many worn chairs and sofas and dine and play and talk at a large, rough table, all on a smooth, dull, wood floor covered here and there in a patchwork of faded rugs and surrounded by paneled walls and a paneled ceiling with a big stone fireplace in the side wall with the porch. And this ignores the kitchen, the other rooms and the half story up the stairs open across the cabin for many sleepy guests. And this is only the evening. And there is no phone and no computer and no TV. But there is music -- recorded for times of quiet thought and talk and played and sung by the people who gather for times to be surprised by others. Oh, and food and beer -- but not too much beer to remain aware of the peace and joy.

Simbob

Author: TheJTrain Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 462 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/20/2001 10:19 AM
I'll just be sticking with the Anchor Steam, if that's ok with you.

There's one I haven't heard of - is that another variety, or just a clever jab at my taste (or perceived lack thereof) in brews?

JT

Author: MJStone Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 463 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/20/2001 10:29 AM
There's one I haven't heard of - is that another variety, or just a clever jab at my taste (or perceived lack thereof) in brews?

Oh, it's a real one alright.

http://sublimespot.com/beer/anchorsteam.htm

MJ
The boy's a little sheltered, don'tcha think?

Author: Trick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 484 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/20/2001 2:26 PM
Beags said:
drinker of tequila with Molson chasers (sort of a one woman Nafta, before her time)

I'd rec that if it were allowed. It's a phrase that's probably been around awhile, but I've never heard it. I like it.

Rick

Author: beagmaster Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 485 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/20/2001 2:30 PM
It's a phrase that's probably been around awhile, but I've never heard it. I like it.

Gosh, and here's me thinking I'm all clever 'n stih.

Mark,
deluded

Author: Jeffie4 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 486 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/20/2001 2:36 PM
Gosh, and here's me thinking I'm all clever 'n stih.

You're clever enough to have fireflies and a glider. Move over.

Author: beagmaster Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 487 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/20/2001 2:41 PM
You're clever enough to have fireflies and a glider. Move over.

Should have read yours first, although I can't say I'd have changed mine even if I had. Don't mess with perfection.

The perfect glider is presently in the custody of my parents. I think they're almost afraid enough of me killing them to get it to jest give it to me.

Mark,
stealing left and right today

Author: kanaredorah Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 500 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/20/2001 4:51 PM
Hi ya'll.

I have a story for ya. I did post this on a private board that some of you have seen, so if you have already read it, just skip it.

It was hot. Really hot. In the field above our camp, where everybody pitched their tents, there was a sea of very tired sweaty people. But in the woods, our little enclave of brothers and family had a small respite. We were still sweating, mind you, but it was about five degrees cooler. The manual labor had lasted about five days already, and the dance was going to commence the next day.

I hear voices coming down the path. It is Ochicata with woman and child in tow. Ochi was dancing and would be sequestered for the next four and a half days. Apparently, the woman and child were going to pitch camp with me. Uhoh.

The woman's name was Terry. Her Mohawk name was unknown to me. She was hot and tired from driving twelve hours from Akwasasne. The two year old child was named Deinetes, and he was adorable, but cranky. It became obvious that she knew nothing about what was about to happen. “Where is the shower” she asked. “There is no shower here, dear. Didn't Ochi tell you that?” Her eyes narrowed, her breath became rapid, and she was clearly pissed. I don't think she was pissed at me, she just hated white women. She had never been far from the reservation before. I could not drag a conversation out of her, but I did find out that she was pregnant.

As the dance progressed, the twelve hour days in the sun with very little sleep or food caught up with all of us. Terry started getting mean to Dienetes. She would not allow anyone to take him off her hands, “it was not her way.” We spent the evenings in silence in the dark camp. I made her a little campfire, shared my food with her, and reinflated her deflated air mattress.

The third day of the dance was extremely hot. Dienetes was crying, Terry was mean, and I had had about enough. I walked over to her, whisked Dienetes up into my arms, looked her in the eye and said “This child needs a nap. I am taking him to my tent. “ I walked rapidly up the hill with the child in my arms. I think he was stunned. I am sure she was, but I did not give her the opportunity to respond. I took his clothes off, poured water over him, and laid him on my sleeping bad. He was asleep as soon as his head hit my pillow. I could hear the drums. Then I heard thunder.

The rain came very quickly. Torrents of rain. The tarp over my tent was funneling the water off the back like a huge waterfall. I stripped naked and stood under it. I washed my hair. The child did not wake up in that thunderstorm, he was much too tired. We both felt great. Terry came slogging through the mud about an hour later. She actually smiled at me. Ah, it was a good day.

Author: Jeffie4 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 503 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/20/2001 5:20 PM
Ah, it was a good day.
And well told. Hi, ellen.

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 508 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/20/2001 9:08 PM

Kevin Kline's / Glenn Close's house in The Big Chill.

ooh, you're good. I love that place.

laurac
still thinkin'.... all of these have been so good.

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 610 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/21/2001 8:48 PM
Ah, it was a good day.

Hello, ellen. Good of you to find your way here.

I'd be really interested to hear your version of a good porch, but you've earned a rest with that fine story, if you need it.

How is quilting going these days?

laurac

Author: kanaredorah Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 632 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 2/22/2001 7:22 AM
I'd be really interested to hear your version of a good porch

Otay.

A good porch can only be defined by the seasons.
A good winter porch is made of stone and is positioned so that the sun hits it directly. In the evenings, the stone gives back the heat and you can sit out there in only a sweater and watch the sunset, or the storms moving in, or the birds. The roof would have to be tall. There should always be a railing.
A good summer porch is made of stone and needs to be in the shade. The stone keeps it cool. You can sit there naked with your feet on the railing and watch the dogs play in the yard.

How is quilting going these days?

I am currently immersed in this red piece. I find myself adding more and more hand stiches. It narrows my focus. I don't even think about it being finished because I have no idea what it will look like after the machine quilting, the beads, the quills and other embellishments are added. It could be very gaudy.

ellen

Author: HopsMaltYeast Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 801 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 3/3/2001 3:48 PM
The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it. --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ah what a pleasant space Porto has made. And a welcome mat out, too.

May I take a seat on the bottom step and listen to the friendly talk awhile? I am enjoying reading through the threads.

For a southerner, the porch is a blessing for gathering friends and for shelter from the elements - great symbol Porto. Verandas are nice too, but sound a bit put on airish.

I've an image of a ideal porch in my mind - sweeping around at least half the house with the eaves hanging way past the porch to shield the sun and blowing rain. Ceiling needs to be a pale green for that psycological cooling effect. Quiet, private reading at sun up with a cup o' joe. Late night beers, cards, and friends with ballgame on the radio.

Hops
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Author: Jeffie4 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 802 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 3/3/2001 5:15 PM
Hi, Hops. Nice quotes. Mind if I borrow them?

Author: HopsMaltYeast Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 803 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 3/3/2001 5:56 PM
Mind if I borrow them?

Feel free, I did. Porto posted the first one in post # 2 though. Made me think of the other Emerson quote, one of my favs.

Nice porch, no?

Author: portolano Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 818 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 3/5/2001 2:39 PM
I've an image of a ideal porch in my mind - sweeping around at least half the house with the eaves hanging way past the porch to shield the sun and blowing rain. Ceiling needs to be a pale green for that psycological cooling effect. Quiet, private reading at sun up with a cup o' joe. Late night beers, cards, and friends with ballgame on the radio.

leave it to you, Hops, to hit the nail on the head, first try.

(I'd go for off-white on the ceiling, though, but that's only 'cos I'm immune to needing 'the cooling effect')

RWE #2.... sweeeeet. I haven't heard that one before, very cool.

Speaking of porches & southerners, looks like I'll be down your way in the beginning of May. Dunno if it'll be more than a day or two, though, the plans aren't firmed up yet.

laurac
goin' visitin'........ and Hiya, Hops!

Author: HopsMaltYeast Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 828 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 3/6/2001 7:29 AM
laurac,

Thanks for the welcome and thanks again for putting together such a fine porch.

Comin' down to the land of fine porches to see Gram?

Author: MechanicalMethod Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1926 of 1944
Subject: Re: Welcome Date: 4/7/2002 6:36 PM
The ornament of a house is the friends who frequent it.

A house is made of brick and stone.
A home is made of love alone.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (99) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement