Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Hi! My name is ShelbyBoy and I requested this new board from TMF.

This board has at least two purposes:

1. To assist those researching family history
2. To report on success stories and interesting finds by those researching family history.

If you would like to see the board address other genealogy related issues, please post.

I am an amateur - actually less than an amateur - I have briefly considered tracing my family history but was overwhelmed with the amount of information that seems to be available on the Internet.

Hopefully amateurs like me as well as more experienced folks will benefit from this board.

It would be nice if posters from various countries provided advice and assistance to others also.

To get started, I'll ask you to do three things:

1. Add this board to your Favorite Boards list by clicking on the heart icon above.

2. Make a brief post here to let others know you are here and indicate your interest

3. Tell others (both on TMF and off) about this board. You might post a brief message on other boards you frequent.

Thanks,
ShelbyBoy
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi, SB. What a coincidence. I, too, have considered tracing my family tree; however, some sites charge a fortune. I have lost the Morman site. If anyone has the URL for the Morman geneology site, please post.

Thanks,

Donna
No. of Recommendations: 3
Hi ShelbyBoy,

I will probably be a lurker for the moment. I have accumulated a lot of recent history on my family and have yet to compile it into anything worthwhile. I have a lot of photos to work with and my family tree has been traced back a few generations...

Might I suggest that as posters put links up to the various geneology research sites that you keep track of them and work them into a FAQ for the board? It might be helpful once you get established and there won't be so many posts to sift through to find the information...

CaveGirl
No. of Recommendations: 2
http://www.familysearch.org is the URL you are looking for.

Not sure what some sites being expensive has to do with anything though. Please be aware though your genealogy will not just pop out of the computer! I don't care what ancestry.com or genealogy.com tell you. It takes YEARS of hard work! And the only thing the computer can do is to tell you where to look. It is not going to give you your genealogy. You may also find cousins you never knew you had, who can also tell you where to look. They can be a very good resource.

Be sure to visit the Mormons in person. Look in your phone book for the church closest to you that has a Family History Center attached. The Mormons don't bite, or try to convert you. And they are your best resource. They have traveled all over the world gathering records so that you do not have to do the traveling, except to the nearest Family Hisatory Center. So, go get some personalized advice.

"Thanks,
ShelbyBoy "

This looks like it could be interesting.

Good idea for a board.

mlk14: Be sure to visit the Mormons in person.

I have several friends who are Mormons here in Columbia, SC. Although I am Episcopalian, I am very partial to Mormons, mainly for their family and community spirit. They believe in "you are your brother's keeper." They had little information here in Columbia. I did find some SS records on their Web site; however, not nearly enough. I have started with their website though. As stated, there are few birth records of Daddy's family, as all the children were born at home and there were no birth certificates. The family Bible tells everything.

Best wishes,

Donna
Be sure to visit the Mormons in person. Look in your phone book for the church closest to you that has a Family History Center attached. The Mormons don't bite, or try to convert you. And they are your best resource. They have traveled all over the world gathering records so that you do not have to do the traveling, except to the nearest Family Hisatory Center. So, go get some personalized advice.

Another thing to do, is let them know where your ancestors are from and their names. You might have a relatve, and if so there may be a bunch of family history already done.

For example; my Great Great Grandfather was named Joel Hills Johnson. He lived in Grafton Mass. around 1830. He later traveled west and setteled in Salt Lake City etc. Anyway, some of his lines of geneology have been traced back to 9 B.C. If you have any family lines that cross, there will be a wealth of information already collected and verified. Many LDS people have such geneolgy lines already done.

If you ever get a chance to visit the family history center in Salt Lake City, by all means do it, it is awsome.

ES
woops, I forgot to add this link: http://www.math.byu.edu/~smithw/Lds/LDS/Early-Saints/Joel_Johnson_vol-2.html

You might also find some really kewl stuff like this.
Hmmm.... That's odd. The Mormons in Columbia have access to the same information as everywhere else, even Salt Lake. Not sure why they didn't have anything for you. Did you have a talk with the librarian? Usually they are very friendly and helpful, and they love to show off their genealogical expertise. Maybe find out when the HEAD librarian is on duty, and try to stop by then. He might have better advice for you.

Don't know why you were looking for SS records on the LDS web site? These are still held by the Social Security administration. Use this SSDI link to search, and generate a letter to the SSA, and then write to the SSA.

http://www.ancestry.com/search/rectype/vital/ssdi/main.htm

Warning: Expensive!!! The SSA just raised their prices. But SS5's are wonderful genealogical information. Did your father's family members work after 1936? If so, they filled out an SS5. It is one of the few things you will find that is filled out by the person himself! It has his name, date of birth, place of birth, and parents' names. Great info, and still worth the cost, I think.

And just a P.S.:
The Motley Fool is a civilized place. Much more so than many other places on the web. And they have just created a Genealogy message board. I'm wondering if we could keep it civil even on this board. Because you can't discuss genealogy without bring up Mormonism. And even the mention of that word leads to flame wars and attracts trolls. Maybe we can invent a code word. Let's just call them the M's. Then we can fool the trolls. They will not notice us because we'll be buried in URLs about baseball. I really don't want to see any trolls here, or see the same old arguments rehashed and the same old flames directed at people's religious beliefs. I'd like to see NO discussion what so ever of the M's religious beliefs. That just causes trouble. I'd just like to thank them for making it possible for me to explore my genealogy and leave it at that. And, oh, have to send everyone to their libraries.

Might I suggest that as posters put links up to the various geneology research sites that you keep track of them and work them into a FAQ for the board?

That's a good suggestion. I'll look into getting that started.

ShelbyBoy
Advertisement