Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lindytoes Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 54151  
Subject: Welcome mat for big solar projects in the West Date: 10/13/2012 7:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Thanks to all your posts here, I have learned that establishing these solar projects better not be all the government is doing. It looks like they are at least trying to improve the process by changing the way BLM let energy companies "dictate the terms before key management protocols were even established'.

Obama admin lays out welcome mat for big solar projects in the West
http://grist.org/news/obama-admin-lays-out-welcome-mat-for-b...
The Interior Department set aside about 285,000 acres for commercial-scale solar in Arizona, California, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico and Utah. The federal government will offer incentives for development, help facilitate access to existing or planned electric infrastructure and ease the permitting process in the 17 zones. …

If fully utilized, Interior predicts the zones could produce 23,700 megawatts of solar energy, enough to power 7 million homes.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jck101 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38377 of 54151
Subject: Re: Welcome mat for big solar projects in the We Date: 10/13/2012 9:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
lol, look at the map, the zones are hundreds of miles away from any decent size populated area. This move probably increases the cost of solar.

Author: bjchip Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38379 of 54151
Subject: Re: Welcome mat for big solar projects in the We Date: 10/14/2012 3:23 AM
Recommendations: 2
the zones are hundreds of miles away from any decent size populated area

Unlike the hydro dams?

Author: jck101 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38381 of 54151
Subject: Re: Welcome mat for big solar projects in the We Date: 10/14/2012 10:43 AM
Recommendations: 0
Unlike the hydro dams?

Dams you have to place in certain areas, solar cells you do not. You're just increasing the costs of solar power by putting them far away.

Author: bjchip Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38384 of 54151
Subject: Re: Welcome mat for big solar projects in the We Date: 10/14/2012 2:12 PM
What makes you think these are planned as arrays of solar cells? A big solar project is apt to be a Concentrated Solar Power CSP plant like Ivanpah.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentrated_solar_power

The question of PV efficiency and prices is open. The Chinese panel price can rise (they've been selling at a loss).

The law change may have started when the CSP was definitively cheaper than the PV cells too... wouldn't be hard. The biggest drop has been in the last year.

You find enough dirt and silliness, but this isn't.

Author: jck101 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38386 of 54151
Subject: Re: Welcome mat for big solar projects in the We Date: 10/14/2012 3:40 PM
What makes you think these are planned as arrays of solar cells? A big solar project is apt to be a Concentrated Solar Power CSP plant like Ivanpah.

It doesn't matter what type of solar power it is, the further away from populated areas the more expensive it will be to install and maintain.

Author: bjchip Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38388 of 54151
Subject: Re: Welcome mat for big solar projects in the We Date: 10/14/2012 5:24 PM
You can't put CSP in a populated area so well. It takes a bigger single area and creates more environmental disruption of other sorts. Have to sort out the PV vs CSP pricing, which is massively distorted at both ends now too.

We SHOULD have put a damned CO2 tax on and let the market work things out. That was what Greens wanted and what "the market" didn't allow back then. Instead we got "cap and betrayed" or nothing at all.

At present I don't think God could tell you which has a real long term advantage over the other or what the real costs are :-)

I understand your complaint, but I DO think you've had other and better points on the finance/political side of things. This one is not the "wrongness" you perceive... probably just late getting to the party. I wonder when it was first offered as legislation and what the PV price was tnen?

Author: bjchip Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38389 of 54151
Subject: Re: Welcome mat for big solar projects in the We Date: 10/14/2012 5:26 PM
Also keeping "smartmonkeys" out of Ivanpah is a lot easier than keeping them out of a site in say - Pasadena.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement