Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Welcome Montreal! I also "lurked" on the boards for a couple years before signing up to start posting and joining the discussions. Congratulations on being in your situation! Deciding what to do with your money is a great problem to have, especially since you seem debt free. Stay that way!

First, consider the future house purchase. I would advise planning to put down 20% to avoid PMI (mortgage insurance) as part of your monthly payments. Consider the value of a house you might be interested in, and stick 20% of that price into a S&P Index Fund and sit on it.

Second, consider tax-free retirement savings. You seem to be in the position where you can put $3k/year into a Roth IRA. I have my IRA's at a discount broker so I can trade stocks within them, but you can also invest an IRA directly with a mutual fund company. It really just depends on what you're comfortable with and how you want to invest. I'm guessing your in Canada, so I don't know what is available to you that would be comparable to US tax protected IRA's.

Third, don't forget your 401k. Make sure you are taking full advantage of any company matching from your employer if it's available. Also, pay close attention to the options available within the 401k. Most have a handful of mutual funds available, so stick to the Index fund choice there. Mine even allows some individual stock trading within my 401k, so you may have more options there.

Fourth, a Rainy Day Fund. Put some cash into a Money Market account just as a backup in case you need the money (health, job loss, etc.). If you're comfortable with more risk, put this in stocks through a broker, but not tax protected. You want to be able to get to this money. Looking at what you have available, I would consider taking $20k of the Cash you have, and put it here to be earning more interest, and be available whenever you need it.

At 28, I think you can handle a lot of risk in your portfolio for the next 30+ years until retirement. Right now, your investments are all in very low-risk areas. Since your house funds, Rainy-Day Fund and 401k are probably going to be in low risk funds, I would feel comfortable taking the rest into individual stocks, including the Roth IRA.

I'm not familiar with WestJet Airlines, but you need to find the stocks that appeal to you. Obviously, the Fool Boards are a great place to do some research. Also, I would seriously consider finding and joining an investment club in your area.

Welcome again. Remember, it's your money. You need to feel comfortable investing it. Don't pick anything that will keep you up at night, it's not worth that.

Pugg
"Perception is Everything"
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement