No. of Recommendations: 2
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Is it really true that Chicago has the strictest gun control laws in the entire nation?
Is it really true that Chicago has the strictest gun control laws in the entire nation?

I've read various articles at different times which say Chicago has the strictest gun control laws and that it is in the top 2. Depends on the source. Google it and you'll find the same. Point is that Chicago is one of the top cities with the strictest gun laws yet has one of the highest murder rates in the country. I read where this year there were more murders in Chicago than Americans killed in Afghanistan. Sounds about right.
Holy smokes! That's quite a statistic. Never hear that on any of Owebama's stump speeches.

I don't know about that, but I know absolutely for sure that Chicago does not have "the highest murder rate in the nation". Not even close.
BaronA:"I don't know about that, but I know absolutely for sure that Chicago does not have "the highest murder rate in the nation". Not even close. "

500 murders officially last year.

Certainly near the top if not at the top for the country.

t.
No. of Recommendations: 3
500 murders officially last year.

Certainly near the top if not at the top for the country.

And Detroit, with 1/4 the population of Chicago, had over 400 murders. That's a far higher "per capita" murder rate, is it not?

Baltimore, Washington DC, Memphis, New Orleans, and a slew of other US cities have higher per capita murder rates than Chicago -- in some cases twice as high.

Yet the media relentlessly picks on Chicago and ignores those other cities. Why? I, for one, am tired of all the Chicago bashing. This is an awesome city to live in, which is why I didn't move after I retired (although I did consider it).
No. of Recommendations: 1
Yet the media relentlessly picks on Chicago and ignores those other cities. Why?

The media ignores the murder rate in Detroit? Surely you jest.
The media ignores the murder rate in Detroit? Surely you jest.

You probably hear about it all the time on your local newscasts because you live in the metro area.

I was really talking about the national media. I rarely hear them report on Detroit's murders, but they harp on Chicago's all the time.
No. of Recommendations: 3
You probably hear about it all the time on your local newscasts because you live in the metro area.

I was really talking about the national media. I rarely hear them report on Detroit's murders, but they harp on Chicago's all the time.

Could that be because "you live in the metro area"?
Could that be because "you live in the metro area"?

No, because I specifically said that I was referring to the "national" media.
The 15 US Cities With The Most Murders Last Year
Abby Rogers | Oct. 29, 2012, Every year the FBI compiles a massive amount of data for crime in America — including the cities with the most murders.

The Uniform Crime Report tracks everything from most murders and most forcible rapes to art thefts.

Later this week we'll be bringing you a list of most violent cities per capita, but for now, here are the 15 cities in the United States that reported the most murders and non-negligent homicides in 2011:

1.New York — 515
2.Chicago — 431
3.Detroit — 344
4.Philadelphia — 324
5.Los Angeles — 297
6.New Orleans — 200
7.Houston — 198
8.Baltimore — 196
9.Dallas — 133
10.Memphis — 117
11.Phoenix — 116
12.St. Louis — 113
13.Washington D.C. — 108
14.Kansas City, Mo. — 108
15.Oakland, Calif. — 104

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/cities-with-the-most-murders-...
Josh shares, "Later this week we'll be bringing you a list of most violent cities per capita, but for now, here are the 15 cities in the United States that reported the most murders and non-negligent homicides in 2011:

1.New York — 515
2.Chicago — 431
3.Detroit — 344
4.Philadelphia — 324
5.Los Angeles — 297
6.New Orleans — 200
7.Houston — 198
8.Baltimore — 196
9.Dallas — 133
10.Memphis — 117
11.Phoenix — 116
12.St. Louis — 113
13.Washington D.C. — 108
14.Kansas City, Mo. — 108
15.Oakland, Calif. — 104

--------------------------------

I wonder why Atlanta, Georgia isn't in there somewhere? There's like 5 Million people living in Atlanta, Georgia now. It's a nuthouse. The traffic is torture. I wonder what keeps Atlanta from being on that list?

Art
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities In America

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-25-most-dangerous-cities-...

Per 100,000 people and for cities with at least 100,000 people, Chicago is not in the top 25 for violent crimes***.

*** "The FBI defines violent crime as murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault."
The 15 US Cities With The Most Murders Last Year

Having "the most murders" and having "the highest murder rate" are not at all the same thing.

One is sheer numbers; the second is a ratio -- which is more significant.

The picture at the link you posted at the top of this thread declared that Chicago has "the nation's highest murder rate". It absolutely does not.

The Baron Andrew, doing his part to correct misinformation
I wonder what keeps Atlanta from being on that list?

A smaller number of people being murdered?
Apparently, that city is Detroit.

But only the local media talks about Detroit.

wolverine
- unaware that Forbes was local Detroit media
the 25 Most Dangerous Cities In America
-----------------------

That was interesting. It's nice Michigan "won" the two top slots. I had no idea Tennessee was such a hotbed of crime.

arrete
While Chicago does not have the highest murder rate among all cities, it has in the past earned that honor among the three largest cities:

http://qrc.depaul.edu/djabon/Articles/ChicagoCrime20030101.h...

FWIW
That was interesting. It's nice Michigan "won" the two top slots. I had no idea Tennessee was such a hotbed of crime.

It's all those Elvis impersonators from out of state I am sure
Hang in there BA!!!
"I had no idea Tennessee was such a hotbed of crime." - arrete

Memphis has a lot of poor black people living in housing projects and the rest of Tennessee crime can probably be attributed to liquored up rednecks and methamphetamine.

Art
While Chicago does not have the highest murder rate among all cities, it has in the past earned that honor among the three largest cities:

But that's not what the picture postcard you disseminated in your first post in this thread stated.

Thank you for admitting that it was a falsehood.
I already conceded that in previous posts. Try to keep up.

But that's not what the picture postcard you disseminated in your first post in this thread stated.

Thank you for admitting that it was a falsehood.

I think alot of the "worst crime cities" surveys or whatever are misleading. New Orleans, Detroit, St. Louis, Chicago, etc usually top the list.

But what usually gets forgotten in these lists is that it all depends on where you are in the city. There are affluent suburbs in these cities that are typically very safe. They are probably no more dangerous than small cities in Iowa or North Dakota. But once you venture into say, the south side of Chicago in the projects, or just outside downtown in New Orleans in the projects, its bad news. I've walked through these areas in New Orleans....I remember the group of friends I was with as we were walking down the sidewalk towards the French Quarters, we'd literally cross the street to avoid a group of "sketchy" young males.

When I was in Chicago (twice) last time I had a meetup with Andrew, I at no time felt threatened. I hung out in Wrigleyville, downtown and near O'Hare Airport. Felt fine.

Can't paint cities with a broad brush. Most cities have their "rough" parts.
When I was in Chicago (twice) last time I had a meetup with Andrew, I at no time felt threatened. I hung out in Wrigleyville, downtown and near O'Hare Airport. Felt fine.

Can't paint cities with a broad brush. Most cities have their "rough" parts.

Foolman! Good to see you're back with us. Some of us were getting a bit concerned.

Hope all is well with you.
Advertisement