Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Dukenewkirk Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide CAPS All Star SC1 Blue Captain Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 9  
Subject: Welcome to Deals or Duds Date: 11/19/2011 7:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello anyone who has happened by this board. I just want to take a little bit of time here to describe why I thought a board of this sort would be useful and seems to be lacking in an internet world littered with useless information.

There are countless 'opportunities' offered to us every day on the internet or even by promotional snail mail. These opportunities always sound fantastic. They also clearly generate income for those offering these wonderful deals as in some cases they run for years. Sadly, far too often, they only generate income for those offering, rather than those trying to follow through with the opportunities. There are 'opportunities' to start your own business from home. There are 'opportunities' to get that special education that will allow you to reach greater success than you ever dreamed possible. Or there are incredible deals for the average consumer who can be so much more than average by simply paying a membership fee for this special service or membership at some special retailer. Most people want to be special, and there is no shortage of those out there who would exploit that fact for only their own personal gain. Often, the entire business model is reliant on simply getting up front money from, sadly I have to say it, suckers, with no real hope of ever creating any kind of wealth for the suckers with stars in their eyes.

Certainly there is the Better Business Bureau. However, the BBB will merely expose those who fail to work their way around the law in order to keep an appearance of legitimacy. Bad deals are not exposed by the BBB, only legally defined unethical practice is occasionally exposed. And, of course, being a member of the BBB is not a requirement of running a business, therefore, it's simply avoided by many.

As was suggested by the fellow who posted before I realized this board was actually up and running, this board itself may prove to be a dud as the requirement for it to function usefully for consumers or would be entrepreneurs, is that we suckers share our tragic lack of judgement and expose ourselves for the fools we are, or have been. I'm in my mid forties and over the last 20 years, as I've searched for a more clever and efficient way to earn a living, I took to heart the old anecdote that the road to success is paved with failure. I've paved a pretty impressive 6 lane highway on my way to the living I make today. In the meantime, I worked a dirty, blue collar job and every now and then laid a little more pavement, only to find myself back in my blue collar, a little more disillusioned. Eventually, I've found my way, but it took some hard knocks, some stupid decisions, some naive hopes and dreams, and some harsh realizations.

Over the next little while, I'll share my few missteps so that it may help a fellow fool avoid the same pitfalls. If even one fool avoids buying a Timeshare, or a Direct Buy membership as a result, I would consider this a successful little exercise. Also, I may pose the question of Deal or Dud in a new thread in the hopes that someone else has already walked a mile down a certain road, and that they may help others distinguish opportunity from farce. Hopefully there are other folks out there in this Foolish community that can endure the shame of sharing such failure for the benefit of others.

Duke
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement