UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: lanshark Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308847  
Subject: Re: NEW MEMBER CONFESSION Date: 7/12/2005 3:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Welcome to the board....

The debt is manageable. The DH may not like it, but that's the best thing to do, most likely.

If you're going to move into a smaller house, your 50k of equity is likely to be gobbled up in large part due to expenses related to selling the current house. I just had to pay 6% to a realtor, and 1% to the state to sell my house. In your case, that's $17k. You have nearly $30k of debt. That would leave you with only $3k cash to put towards a new home - not even enough for the typical closing costs.

Are the APRs on the cards decent at this time?

I don't see selling the house as a good idea. It costs too much in fees to sell and buy a home. If you have good job prospects, I think selling the home now is premature. It sounds like you can handle the minimum payments, and you will land another job, so I see no reason to pay a realtor a nice commission just to satisfy the urge to be debt free. The reality is that you need a place to call home, and having a home of your own is one of the best investments you can make. Selling the home would put you back into the land of paying rent most likely.

Good luck...

- Lan
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement