Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Welcome to the dark side. Random thoughts in no particular order.

I think the number of stocks is fine for that amount of money. It's probably less than 1 percent commission per trade at worst. Negligible.

Studies show that anybody with a plan outperforms everybody without a plan. Give or take a couple of lucky outliers. So my advice is to synthesize exactly what you were looking for into writing for yourself. EXACTLY which value and performance metrics drew you to these companies? Was it current yield, projected dividend growth, or what? Write them down. Write down the scores for each company. I know you can't quantify product's etc., but if there's an analytical source you are using for that kind of input, you can grade them too.

In 2 or 3 months, which these are historically good stock market months, do your assessment against those metrics as well as you can. Did the successful ones share a trait? Did the less successful ones share a trait? Be sure and assess them against the market, which CAPS is excellent at. If it went up 15%, but the market did 20, it actually sucked. Adjust your future scanning accordingly.

Holding periods, patience, panic and buy sell decisions are all personal traits. You don't know what's in your ruby slippers until you make the journey to Oz.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement