Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Welcome to the "marriage" penalty.

Each employer takes taxes based on your individual earnings. In this case you are both in the lower tax brackets. However, combined I think you end up in a hire tax bracket. Thus no refund. Married filing single usually doesn't work out any better unless there is a big difference in incomes. And usually itemized deductions as well.

For 2000, figure out any raises you or your wife are likely to get and refigure what taxes would be. Then have an additional amount taken out each week so that you won't owe as much next year. (Divide difference by the number of times you get paid each year and round up to nearest dollar.

Congrats on the Fed return are in order. It is very Foolish to be so close to breaking even. Therefore YOU have the chance to invest the money, not the goverment.

Hope this helps

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.