Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Welcome to Virginia.

You can find lots of information about Virigina taxes at

From the Virginia Part-Year Resident instructions:

For a part-year resident, if your income is only from wages, salaries and interest from a savings or checking account, your VAGI is usually the same as the Adjusted Gross Income shown on your federal return less the wages, salaries and interest earned while a nonresident of Virginia. You do not have to file if your are single and your VAGI is less than $5,000.

So based on what you wrote, you probably don't need to file. Unemployment is not taxable in Virginia, so the only thing that Virginia would count as taxable is the interest and dividends you earned while in Virginia, and if that was less than $5,000 (assuming you're single) you don't have to file.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.