UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jesserivera67 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74839  
Subject: Re: Higher income investment ideas? Date: 3/20/2004 12:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Welcome zorba777!

Four Pillars is excellent. I might suggest following that up with Burton Malkiel's Random Walk Down Wallstreet...for the cliff notes version you can get his shorter Random Walk Guide to Investing which cuts to the chase pretty much.

I'm a huge fan of index investing and strongly believe that you can get comparable returns. You won't get the best...but more importantly you won't get the worst either.

I'm also a diversifying junkie...spreading my funds across numerous indexes...Large Cap G/V, Small Cap G/V, International Large Cap G/V, International Small Cap G/V, REIT's, TIPS indexes, etc...last year was great and the REIT's saved my butt 2000-2002.

I think you can do phenomenally well with Indexes and the best part about it is I set it and forget it...(well except for rebalancing that I do about once a year). That can be a pain sometimes since I diversify so much.

Since you took the initiative to read Four Pillars...I'm going out on a limb and say you're a DIY type of person. So just do it...it's just not that hard and why pay the extra fees when you don't need to. Four Pillars offer some very solid strategies for anyone implementing a LTBH investment for both taxable and tax deferred accounts. For example dump the TIPS in tax deferred accounts but you can hold the Vanguard Total Stock Market Index in a taxable account since it's taxes are generally very low or sign up for some tax managed accounts that focus on the same.

So you've got $69k a year eh? $13k to 401k, $6k ($3k each) to IRA's, leaving $50k to work with. Does your company offer a deferred compensation plan? Sounds like your a big wig so you may qualify for it if it exists. Basically works just like a 401k but it's not protected by a bunch of regulations. None the less, it's still pretty safe and a great way to lower your tax bill and invest for retirement.

All I gotta say is...can I be on your will?

HTH

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Feste Award Winner Announced!
Congrats to the Winner of the 2013 Feste Award!
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Why Should Berkshire Hathaway Survive?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement