Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2373  
Subject: Re: HEADING SOUTH Date: 12/21/2003 9:39 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Well, according to www.Mapquest.com it's about 1300 miles.
At an average on-the-road speed of 50 MPH, that's 26 hours on the road. Not including rest stops.
Since you can't necessarily do in each of several consecutive days what you can do in one day, I think you should consider making a 4-day trip of it. That would be 6.5 hours a day on the road. Youd presumably have some extra time to get to good spots for the night.

For Mrs. Goofy and me, 3 hours is a breeze. 4 hours is enough. Anything over 5 and we start to get cranky. I marvel at the other RVers we talk to who go "20 hours" or whatever. (We once did 11 hours across Nevada, but then there's nothing in Nevada, including rest stops.)

So, if it were me, and if there was no compelling reason to be "in Florida" by a particular date, I'd make the journey part of the trip. I'd get out a map and figure out a few interesting things to do along the way.

For instance, perhaps visiting some of the historic sites in Virginia like Mt. Vernon or Monticello or Williamsburg Colonial Village. Baltimore' Inner Harbor is interesting, with lots of shops & museums, and there is a week's worth of activity in D.C. if you're anywhere close.

Maybe make a stop at Virginia Beach or somewhere along the ocean in North Carolina. There are tobacco factories in North Carolina and Civil War battlegrounds in Georgia, there's Charleston and lots of other wonderful towns along the way if you have the time.

Mrs. Goofy and I would typically leave a campground between 10-11AM (she's hard to get started), drive til about 3 or 4:00, set up, then reconnoiter the town, have dinner, and sleep. Spend the entire next day in the town visiting the sites or whatever, then go back home, have a nice meal, go to bed. Then the next day get started at 10-11AM, and proceed on for another 3, 4, or 6 hours.

We go to our relatives in Pennsylvania every year for Thanksgiving, a 12 hour drive which we do in two days. That one is all about "getting there", and it is much less fun than just taking our time and enjoying "the ride" rather than "getting to the destination."

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement