Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: OpalComp Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1173  
Subject: Re: Cold Fusion from Allaire Date: 1/22/2001 6:44 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Well, as a Web developer on contract at Toys "R" Us for over a year, I want to shed some light as someone who knows first-hand about what happened there, and the role played by ColdFusion (the correct spelling, not "Cold Fusion").

The Toysrus.com site used memory extensively throughout the site, and pushed ColdFusion to its limits under version 4. There were a couple of performance problems with CF, such as the performance of the locking mechanism, but they primarily caused the need for additional servers. The two events at TRU that caused the most negative publicity were 1) an increase in volume by a factor of 10 overnight in September 1999, due to a very well-placed discount coupon (<g>) which required an increase in the number of servers to make the site available again, and 2) the failure to ship gifts on time in Christmas of 1999. The latter was due to lack of warehouse capacity, and was also a customer relations error because the customers were not notified about the inability to ship on time until just before Christmas day (although some were happy with the $100 gift certificates they received).

The site was successful technically, and performance improved dramatically with CF 4.5 and 4.51, due to enhancements in memory management and locking. The final decision to move to Amazon was, we believe, due to 1) yes, risk reduction on the site itself, but probably more important 2) reliable fulfillment by Amazon.com (shipping capacity etc.), 3) excellent customer service, 4) Amazon's 20+ million customers vs Toysrus.com's 1+ million at that time, and 5) great reduction in the cost of developing and running the site. The toy business is so seasonal that it is a perennial problem to have sufficient personnel and shipping capacities to handle the holiday Season, yet not lose money the rest of the year due to overstaffing and too much capacity. These are very real problems, and they have been largely avoided due to the Amazon deal.

My colleagues in development and I were not so happy to see our work replaced with Amazon.com, but we do understand the reasons it was done, and it was not due to technology. In my opinion, the biggest problem ColdFusion has is the fact that it is neither an open standard, nor a Microsoft product, and so it loses for non-technical reasons in the competition for some sites.

I hope this is useful information.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement