Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Well, ask a stupid question. I'm trying to understand
about Roth IRAs as they have to do with retired people.
I ask this yesterday and did not make myself
understood. So I'll try again a different way.

Can I transfer $18,000 in stock certificates out of my
company 401K plan as stock certificates, to a Roth IRA,
paying the required taxes of appox. $2,700 now. Then,
leaving it at least 5 years, get the appreciation,
considering it does go up, tax free?

As long as you are eligible for a distribution from the 401k then I believe the procedure would be to distribute to your IRA and then convert the IRA to a ROth.

Could I also contribute an additional $2,000 each year
here after? Or, is it true as I've been told, retired
people cannot have a Roth IRA?
You may as long as your income is below certain thresholds and you have "earned" income equivalent to the amount of the ROTH contribution (<=2,000).

Earned income is income subject to FICA tax - IE wages.


Sorry, I forgot to mention I am retired
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.