Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: JeanDavid Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 123045  
Subject: Re: Renouncing citizenship for tax purposes Date: 8/22/2013 8:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Well, at the risk of stating the obvious, such people might consider complying with the US tax rules, filing the required documents, and paying their fair share like the rest of us do. Why is this such a problem?

I am a (naturalized) U.S. citizen living in the USA. But I have an annuity from a Swiss insurance company that pays me a pittance each year. If they would issue me a 1099-R, I would have no problem. I do choose to pay my tax due on this. But it is not easy because the Swiss Insurance company does not issue 1099-R forms.

So I try to make TaxAct give me a blank 1099-R form and it does that, but unless I give the Swiss insurance company's EID, I cannot get TaxAct to accept it. And the Swiss insurance company has no US EID.

I know what I do. Each year I e-mail the Swiss insurance company and ask what portion of the payment is a return of principle, and what portion is interest. I put the interest into 'other income' on the 1040 someplace. Then TaxAct complains that, since it is over $400, my return will be held up by the IRS and I am likely to be audited. The IRS does not seem upset by this procedure. They take what they think is their fare share, and never bother me. As far as I can tell (I file electronically) they do not hold up processing my return, and if they audit me, they do it with no participation from me.

But I think it is a problem to comply with the law even in what seems to me to be a very simple situation. Actually, if I managed to file a 1099-R for this, it would probably make trouble, since the Swiss insurance company files nothing with the IRS.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Why Companies Buy Back Shares
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.