UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5748  
Subject: Re: Will bequest vs. account beneficiary designa Date: 3/15/2012 9:29 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4

Well, eventually these things do get sorted out. What will happen is the 3 siblings decide who they want to be the personal rep., and hire a lawyer to petition the court to appoint him/her as such.

Always have a will. It's just easier.

In MA, you also have to post a bond to be named Executor, so it could end up costing someone money because if you don't have the money for a bond, you have to pay a bonding service to get that, and I'm not sure that the estate would be responsible for that expense.

Also, if anyone contests the distribution of the estate, then the estate gets to pay all the legal fees.

Oh, and in MA, the executor can also be paid to administer the estate, so it's possible for someone who is not an heir, for instance, to be the executor and actually get paid more money than eventually gets distributed.

We're going through all sorts of fun now both with estates where wills existed and where a will did not exist. I wouldn't do this to anyone, least of all someone I care about.

Get a will. It's so much easier.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement