UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jiml8 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 6641  
Subject: Well far out!! Date: 4/10/2001 5:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Not one, but three - count 'em - three Linux boards on TMF!

Well, I just installed Linux on my home machine as my first step toward again becoming a Microsloth Free Zone (I was for a long time as Amiga user/developer, but Amiga is orphaned, and I had to switch platforms. NT was it, but now Linux is becoming a viable option).

I installed Mandrake. Installation had its rough points, and I have a few problems. Mostly I have worked around the problems, but a couple things are bothering me.

Right now I am at the office on my NT machine, so without the system in front of me I can't properly and in detail pose a couple questions. HOwever, I'll try to ask from memory and later I'll log on in Linux so I can provide more details.

Basically, I have been having some problems. If I log in as a user, open a console, and switch to root, then insmod a driver, Gnome hangs when I try to log out. If I reset the machine, when I reboot the driver that I insmod'ed is not there.

This one has bit me on my modem (a Lucent chipset winmodem that works fine with the Lucent driver) and now with my CD burner. Also, the problem is now appearing with the sound card; if I try to play a CD, I get no sound until I enter the config program. The moment I try to access the sound card using the config program, everything starts working (driver gets loaded).

Now, in my /etc/rc.local script, I have added 2 lines; insmod LTModem and insmod ide-scsi. These lines take care of those devices. It appears that I will have to do the same thing with the soundcard. This works, but does not seem to be right.

Is there a user rights problem? How come the information in /etc/devices.conf is not sufficient to cause the drivers to be loaded when a user starts?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Preparing For the End of the World
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement