No. of Recommendations: 0
Not one, but three - count 'em - three Linux boards on TMF!

Well, I just installed Linux on my home machine as my first step toward again becoming a Microsloth Free Zone (I was for a long time as Amiga user/developer, but Amiga is orphaned, and I had to switch platforms. NT was it, but now Linux is becoming a viable option).

I installed Mandrake. Installation had its rough points, and I have a few problems. Mostly I have worked around the problems, but a couple things are bothering me.

Right now I am at the office on my NT machine, so without the system in front of me I can't properly and in detail pose a couple questions. HOwever, I'll try to ask from memory and later I'll log on in Linux so I can provide more details.

Basically, I have been having some problems. If I log in as a user, open a console, and switch to root, then insmod a driver, Gnome hangs when I try to log out. If I reset the machine, when I reboot the driver that I insmod'ed is not there.

This one has bit me on my modem (a Lucent chipset winmodem that works fine with the Lucent driver) and now with my CD burner. Also, the problem is now appearing with the sound card; if I try to play a CD, I get no sound until I enter the config program. The moment I try to access the sound card using the config program, everything starts working (driver gets loaded).

Now, in my /etc/rc.local script, I have added 2 lines; insmod LTModem and insmod ide-scsi. These lines take care of those devices. It appears that I will have to do the same thing with the soundcard. This works, but does not seem to be right.

Is there a user rights problem? How come the information in /etc/devices.conf is not sufficient to cause the drivers to be loaded when a user starts?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi jiml8,

I am using Mandrake too. I wonder which Mandrake version you have installed. And also if you have installed a package named kudzu.

Kudzu should be able to detect and configure any new or changed hardware, I am using kudzu-0.91.2-2mdk and it works like a charm, saves me lots of guesswork.

From the man pages:

kudzu detects and configures new and/or changed hardware
on a system. When started, kudzu detects the current
hardware, and checks it against a database stored in
/etc/sysconfig/hwconf, if one exists. It then determines
if any hardware has been added or removed from the system.
If so, it gives the users the opportunity to configure any
added hardware, and unconfigure any removed hardware. It
then updates the database in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf.

If no previous database exists, kudzu attempts to deter­
mine what devices have already been configured, by looking
at /etc/modules.conf, /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/, and
/etc/X11/XF86Config.
Not one, but three - count 'em - three Linux boards on TMF!

At least four (LNUX, RHAT, Lunux User's Group, and The days of our Linux) by my count.

Right now I am at the office on my NT machine, so without the system in front of me I can't properly and in detail pose a couple questions. HOwever, I'll try to ask from memory and later I'll log on in Linux so I can provide more details.

Can you tell us what the driver is , what version of mandrake you're using, and what version of kudzu (rpm -q kudzu) you're using?

Sumner
Here's one hint: insmod only loads the modules specified, use modprobe to load the module and any other modules it depends on.
I am using Mandrake too. I wonder which Mandrake version you have installed. And also if you have installed a package named kudzu.

I am running 2.2.17. I purchased the "Powerpack Deluxe release 7.2". I configured as a workstation, since I wanted all the goodies, then I have been installing other packages as needed.

I have installed Kudzu and ran it after reading what you said. Doesn't help me in my particular problem.

At this point, I have concluded that somehow my Gnome installation has become hosed. I am now logging into KDE and everything seems to be working.

On startup, Gnome reports that there has been an error in inter process communication. A socket was not found. Check to make sure that dcopserver is actually running (it is).

So, from KDE I am having no trouble. Whole system is up and running now; I have squid serving my LAN, Samba is working, IPChains is functioning as a firewall, Internet Junkbuster is working, and I am almost completely happy. I will be completely happy when I get diald running with squid so that users on the LAN can automagically dial up the internet without logging into this computer.

Oh yes, one other thing to make me happy. I downloaded Wordperfect for Linux and it won't install. The installer is choking on the fact that I have a directory labeled Linux2.2.17-mdk. The "-mdk" is causing a lot of grief.

I feel like I'm coming home; Linux reminds me a lot of my old Amigas. I have learned as much about Linux since last Wednesday night (when I started the installation) as I learned about Windows NT in two years. Sure is nice to be working with an environment that encourages knowledge, rather than that immensely opaque Bill Gates Special.
I downloaded Wordperfect for Linux and it won't
install. The installer is choking on the fact that I have a directory labeled Linux2.2.17-mdk. The
"-mdk" is causing a lot of grief.

Hmmm, I do not use Workperfect but, what happens if you just creat an empty dir Linux2.2.17 and soft link it to Linux2.2.17-mdk? That trick usually works for me.

Giorgio
Hmmm, I do not use Workperfect but, what happens if you just creat an empty dir Linux2.2.17 and soft link it to Linux2.2.17-mdk? That trick usually works
for me.

Hmmmmm...

this syntax

ln -l /lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk /lib/modules/2.2.17

did not work. The symbolic link was set up, but then was resolved by the install script, yielding the same error.
ln -l ? I don't know that option -l, maybe it was

ln -s /lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk /lib/modules/2.2.17?

What is excatly the install message error? Try rpm -ivvh wordperfect*rpm

The vv will make the installation really verbose.
ln -l /lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk /lib/modules/2.2.17

I thunk the way to make symbolic links was:

ln -s /lib/modules/2.2.17-21mdk /lib/modules/2.2.17
Oops! Sorry...typo.

ln -s, of course.
What is excatly the install message error? Try rpm -ivvh wordperfect*rpm

It's a tar file, and the error is that a numeric value is expected in a substitution that occurs in an if statement.

BTW...is Linux supposed to warn you when you have a full drive? Seems I've managed to dump enough stuff on my 2.3 gig /usr partition that I'm about out of room...didn't realize it until I was just fooling around with a utility and discovered it.
I was continually frustrated by trying the download and intall WordPerfect 8 for Linux. I finally got tired of it and gave up. Last week I picked up a UK based Linux magazine (whose real name escapes me). Attached was a CD that included - among other things - WordPerfect 8.

As another option you might consider looking at your local Barnes and Noble (where I found mine) or Borders type store. It cost more than a typical magazine though - about $13.

joe
BTW...is Linux supposed to warn you when you have a full drive? Seems I've managed to dump enough stuff on my 2.3 gig /usr partition that I'm about out of room...didn't realize it until I was just fooling around with a utility and discovered it.

If it is, it doesn't on my box. It will tell me when I am out of room, such as when I'm copying a file. If the file is 1 meg and I only have 800 K free, it will copy the first 800 K of the file and then tell me I don't have enough space for the operation.

Celia
BTW...is Linux supposed to warn you when you have a full drive? Seems I've managed to dump
enough stuff on my 2.3 gig /usr partition that I'm about out of room...didn't realize it until I was
just fooling around with a utility and discovered it.

I am not sure about warnings, but KDE has a tool that shows you the partitions at configuration-KDE-information. I am not sure of the command line name thou.

About wordperfect, I guess the problem must be that Corel is based in Debian and Mandrake is based in Red Hat, as far as directories is concerned. Maybe they have a support with a FAQ at their site.

If you set up disk quotas, it can warn you when you get close.

man quota

will get you started (be sure to look at the See Also stuff at the bottom). If you run Red Hat, the "control-panel" program can help you set this stuff up.

I forgot to suggest the df command.

man df
"I forgot to suggest the df command."

`df -vk` should provide human-readable output, to boot.

Rob Nelson
ronelson@vt.edu
Advertisement