UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jesserivera67 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75381  
Subject: Re: 401(k) Rollover Date: 9/16/2003 11:30 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Well for one thing...you're doing very well so congrats on that. Well if you have those funds you have a mix of Large Blend, Large Value and a Midcap Blend I think. Missing some small cap so you might want to start there.

As for moving your funds to Scottrade that's really up to you. If your funds are in a 401(k) I'm assuming what you mean by liquidating your assets is to move them to another IRA somewhere and not cash out since you'll be hit with penalties.

If you leave your Dreyfus funds as is (in your old 401k) you can't add to that investment so rolling them over would be my first recommendation.

If you go with Scottrade you could always reinvest in those funds but my recommendation is to go with Vanguard as they have every category you'll need so diversifying is pretty simple.

At age 27, if you can manage some risk, I would recommend 100% equity portfolio with a mixture of Large Caps and Small caps both in growth and value funds. Definitely get some International in there with the same preferences.

As far as the ETF investing (i.e. QQQ, SPDR, etc.) they're not bad choices either but one of the main advantages to them is you can trade them like stock as you know. Me being a buy and hold guy would say go ahead and go for it but stick to buy and hold strategies. Constant trading leads to fees which will impact performance of your portfolio.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement