No. of Recommendations: 2
Well, I do not know how you came up with the 20% figure.

The market, as a whole, does trend. Obviously, you want to be in the market when it is trending up, and out of it when it is trending down. Determining the trend is not terribly difficult - just look at the charts. However, there is no way to look at a trend and say "this is going to be a 20% decline", or something else. It ends when it ends, and begins when it begins.

For example, look at the analysis I did here, some time ago (but it is still relevant):

Selling when you get the sell signal gives you more money with which to buy when you get the buy signal and get back in.

For good discussions of market timing, look at the Mechanical Investing Board:

That just gives you the last post - look at back posts, or post a question about market timing.

I have never found anybody who claimed to be able to pick an absolute top or bottom, but the trend is usually quite clear.

Now when the market begins a down trend, you have a couple of options. One is just to sell everything. It is virtually impossible for a mutual fund to buck the trend. Cash is the best place to be.

On the other hand, you could try going into one or more of the "short", or "inverse" funds. These short stuff, and so go up when the market goes down. This is a very risky strategy, and I do not recommend it. Those funds are very volatile, and you will have a hard time making enough money to keep you in Pepto Bismol.

There are also long-short funds.

I have not looked at those for several years, but last I looked the performance was not very good.
Print the post  

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.