UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: 01wmarsh Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 176324  
Subject: Re: How to guarantee a one-term presidency Date: 8/30/2002 9:51 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Well, I hardly think that that is the basis of the justification for the continuing force of the UN Resoultions. I think the basis of this is that the ceasefire agreed to by Saddam continues the UN Resolutions until both sides agree that all conditions have been met. Saddam abrogated the ceasefire in 1998 when he ejected the inspectors, as a result, the ceasefire is no longer in force, and the US, as the agent empowered by the UN resolutions, is free to use whatever force is necessary to ensure that the UN Resolutions are obeyed. We've been trying for 4 years to get the inspectors back in, how long should we rely on 'diplomatic' means and sanctions to get Saddam to abide by an agreement he already accepted? The idea that we should now 'negoitiate' the conditions for the inspectors return is an absurdity, much as if the Japanese decided in 1947 to 'renegoitiate' the terms of thier surrender.

The current attempts at appeasing Saddam are reminiscent of Munich and Hitler. I wonder just how far into bed some will get with this murderous madman?

That being said, I'm somewhat mystified by the current 'debate' over whether the President will or will not consult Congress or present his 'case' for the invasion, should he decide one is necessary. I think he has stated on more than one occasion that he will seek Congressional backing and lay out his reasons, when the time comes. The only people I see 'debating' the issue as though he has stated he will not is the media and his ever present following of critics (the joys of being President). I don't think that the conclusion can be drawn from a 'legal opinion' as to the legality of an action that this is the intended course the President intends. I think his critics would like that to be his intended course and at the moment seem to be having a good time attacking this particular 'strawman'.

As far as the economy goes, we're enjoying the aftermath of an 'equity bubble' that occured over the last 10 years or so. He is no more to 'blame' for this than Jimmy Carter was for the rampant inflation in the 70's (caused by a quintupling of oil prices in '73 and on). it's just convienient for some folks to have a 'whipping boy' for all thier economic troubles, that way they don't have to look at themselves.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement