No. of Recommendations: 1
Well I realized that but I still like Linux. I am not blind to everything else though.
I have been using Quicken since who knows. I have OFC & OFX file types in my backup. (I know they are useless now, I'm just a hoarder of data files).
I have used MINT but am not happy with it. Maybe 'cause it sends me too many notices about things. I just got 3 different emails about credit cards I don't use anymore. It constantly needs password resets connecting to my various financial institutes. I stopped using it last July...I should say I stopped going to the website. I found it bothersome to update.
My credit union has another Intuit product call "Finance Works". I run around 15 different monthly expenses through a single credit card, from my CU. Finance works won't let you break the itemization down that many times.
I guess I just have issues using product that puts everything out in the cloud...or to date myself, store on someone's mainframe servers. Who knows who has access to it, and everything is centrally located. I'm just a little paranoid.
For now I am doing a lot through Excel but none of its automated. I have to download .CSV files from the brokerage houses to do quarterly reviews of our retirement portfolio. For monthly expenses I manually approve the Credit Card transaction, checking to make sure they are in line with expectations. You cannot do a very through actual vs budget review. Electrical & propane are the biggest variable expenses. Yet even lawn-care or snowplow expense could get wacky because of the weather.
For now I am attempting to use Quicken again. My goal is to keep it as simple as possible. I will be looking for more guidance as time rolls on.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement