UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: HobbyDave Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 381  
Subject: Well, I should at least post once Date: 2/9/2007 4:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I know the board is fairly dead, but I just found it, so I thought I should at least post a hello :)

Not all that long ago, while sailing on my father-in-law's boat, he mentioned something about living aboard and sailing around the world. I said that sounded like fun, and my wife said "yeah, it does".

So, I went gung-ho into the research, and our current "plan" is to retire in around 11 years (we're both 29 right now), and head out onto a sail boat. We're not experienced sailors (I've been sailing before, but certainly not much time logged), but we figure anything is possible if you've decided to do it.

That's our story, and my hello :)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: William813 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 369 of 381
Subject: Re: Well, I should at least post once Date: 4/27/2007 9:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Hey HobbyDave,
A great book to check out if you plan to go sailing is called "An Embarrassment of Mangoes." Much to mull over if you want to vicariously go sailing.

Author: HobbyDave Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 370 of 381
Subject: Re: Well, I should at least post once Date: 5/1/2007 12:21 PM
Yes, actually I bought that book a month or so ago, and it's sitting next to my bed now. I'm part way through, it finally made its way to the top of my reading queue.

Author: tgnytg Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 371 of 381
Subject: Re: Well, I should at least post once Date: 5/1/2007 12:55 PM

I have been watching this board for 4 months and have seen no action. Thanks for taking up the mantle, Dave.

I am a little bit confused with the title of this board. I am a fledgling Parrothead (with graying feathers) and go to see Jimmy perform every summer. For a Fool's board namesake, in recent years this Mr. Buffett doesn't seem to take his retirement sitting down. He hasn't gone at it like his cousin Warren, but Jimmy has been doing a LOT of empire building for the past decade or so.

Dave, good luck with both the retirement plans and sailing. I am rooting for you.

I too would like to retire in 10 years or so, and love tearing it up on my Hobie Cat.

Author: SSchey Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 372 of 381
Subject: Re: Well, I should at least post once Date: 5/9/2007 3:50 PM
WOW! I can't believe that my last post on this board was in 01!

Dave keep at it and do your homework, but don't wait until everything is perfect (it never is) or you will never cast off from the dock.

I set a goal of cruising in my retirement more years ago than I care to remember.

The good news is I have finally made it. I am currently living aboard a 36 ft trawler in St Pete Beach Fl and have been cruising the west coast for a couple of years now (official retirement date was 6/1/06).

Let me know if their is any specific info you may be looking for.

SSchey

Author: 070619aqua One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 373 of 381
Subject: Re: Well, I should at least post once Date: 7/5/2007 8:11 PM
Hi SSchey,

Congratulations! I was wondering if you can show us how you did it and lessons learned along the way. It would surely provide valuable insight for someone like me who seems to be grappling with so much information not knowing which of the bits help and which ones I can discard.

Kind regards.

Author: Rocket52 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 374 of 381
Subject: Re: Well, I should at least post once Date: 7/6/2007 6:04 PM
HobbyDave

I concur on the Embarrassement of Mangoes; it's a fun read. I think the islands are changing rapidly, but it certainly gives one an idea of the joy and challenges of living aboard.

If I might recommend to you, sailing in the British Virgin Islands is a great way to check out life in the islands. There are numerous sailing schools and charter outfits for about any budget and most will get your your bareboat training if you are interested. My wife and I have been twice and have had a great time. Now if I can only convince her to buy a boat in Tortola <g>....

Best of luck

Randy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement