UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 62999  
Subject: Re: Disability: How the unemployed survive Date: 3/25/2013 2:44 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Well . . . I used to like METAR and posted there for awhile. Now it seems to me like there is far too much sand to sift through to find a nugget of any value. I'm too busy (or maybe too unmotivated) to read most of the long, rambling posts over there.

Here's an example from today: http://boards.fool.com/macroeconomics-schmacroeconomics-3060.... I don't really have any idea of whether I would agree with this post or not, because it started out like this, "This is a really long and boring post, but I am requiring my five kids to read it and discuss it with me. For everyone else, the useful and interesting content of this post is that portion where the text is in bright red all-caps font." Yeah . . . okay, reading that post just dropped so low on my priority list that I will never get to it.

It's not just the content of the posts on METAR. It's the style too. I have completed long, rambling posts over there and still had no idea of what the poster wanted to say. I just don't want to spend my time reading the rambling musings of some self-absorbed poster. And . . . there really are a lot of self-absorbed posters on METAR. If I learned something valuable or entertaining from the time spent, it might be different.

As far as social responsibility to point out the flaws in different poltical arguments, I think I can stand on my track record here at TMF. People may accuse me of a lot of things, but no one has ever accused me of avoiding an argument with a right wing cretin. But there are so many cretinous arguments, PM, and I have other things to do in my life.

I worry about some of the same things you worry about. If someone doesn't point out the lies and flaws in right wing ideologue claims, we run the risk of more people buying into the lies. But that is a problem. Big money backs the right wing echo chamber, and the machine that money has created can fabricate lies and hysteria faster than you or I can refute the arguments. Worse, there is a segment of the population that has decided that politics is all about spin and story . . . that facts don't matter. You can produce all the data and logical analysis you want and you still won't change their minds. This same group tends to make everything into a political issue. Evolution, climate, assault rifles, school childrens' diet, . . . Somehow these all became political issues. I don't know how we ever get beyond that. One political persuasion is trying to collect facts and analysis while the other is determined to make up their own to rationalize what they want to believe. It's like one group is playing chess and the other is playing rugby. One side is saying "check mate", the other is screaming "goal". No one is really winning.

Maybe I am as bad as the "other guys". To be honest, none of us can ever be sure that we're not. But I doubt that my reading and posting more on METAR is going to change a lot . . . other than limiting the time I have to spend on other things that are far more important to me.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Dividend Growth Investing

Good Time for Dividend Champions?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement