Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BruceBrown Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8937  
Subject: Re: Continuing the conversation. Date: 6/26/2001 4:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Well, I went for my club fitting yesterday and the answer is twofold for me. First, the pro suggested some changes to my grip and swing that had immediate (positive) effects. Basically, my left hand grip was too weak, and I wasn't pivoting enough, but rather was moving somewhat laterally. Just changing those too things got rid of a nasty slice and added considerable yardage to my strokes! That was cool.

Sounds like the lesson/fitting was worth it.

Second, the conclusion was that I am "standard" lie angle (black dot in the Ping system), and regular grip. This isn't too surprising-- I'm also a perfect 40 regular off-the-rack clothes buyer. There are some advantages to being average.

Yes, you can buy off the rack golf clubs as well - lucky guy.

The pro shop at my university has some good Orlimar knock-offs with Appollo shafts and good grips that I might buy for now while I look around more. These are inexpensive enough irons that I can just throw (or give) them away when I'm ready to buy permanent clubs.

Keep in mind that even if they are inexpensive, that's money that could go toward a 'permanent' set later. It's easy to get sucked in to spending $185 now and then tossing or giving the set away later once you narrow down a 'better' set you want later. The only problem with that is $185 spent is $185 spent. Since you are off-the-rack in club fitting size, renting might make sense until you finish your research and shopping. You never know what might turn up at a rummage sale or in the newspaper as you look around...

BB

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Feste Award Winner Announced!
Congrats to the Winner of the 2013 Feste Award!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement