Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Well, in doing a little research, here is the statement I found:

"SSA does not make partial month payments. Thus, individuals first become eligible to receive a benefit during the month after the month of their 62nd birthday. So, if a person was born in May, his or her first month of eligibility is June. Since SSA pays individuals a month behind, the person will receive the June benefit in the month of July. If you would like to receive your first check the first month you are eligible, you will need to apply three months before your birthday."

I was born in August... so my benefits really start in September... and since the pay you get is for the previous month, then I will get my first check in October for my benefits for the month of September.

I found this on the AARP website, NOT the SS.gov website, so I am hoping it is correct. This is the same thing the SS rep told me on the phone. I guess I was just hoping I would have my first check in September, not in October.

Footsox
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement