UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (54) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFMurph Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75383  
Subject: Re: Higher Medicare premiums for Top 25% Date: 4/13/2013 1:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 10
Well, like they say, alstoemeria, the vast majority of communication is tone of voice/body language, etc...not the content....so, no harm, no foul. ;-)

As to this thought:

I should think premiums would be phenomenally expensive for seniors today, what with our very expensive treatments for cancer, transplants and heart surgery, etc. developed since 1965. Out of reach for way more than half of seniors I should think.

No doubt about it, but in my particular case, the premiums could be paid with money left over. Never doubt what Einstein said( or at least some attribute to him) about the awesome power of money compounding over time ( the $65 K spaced over 40+ years and easily returning an average of 7% annual compounded ).

There is no doubt that some people need help. There is no doubt that some people receiving help don't deserve it. The devil is in the details....details which the politicians talk about briefly ( especially when trying to justify the cost of some new program by "cutting waste and fraud" ), and then promptly do next to nothing about.

If I felt my direct tax dollars and my stealth tax dollars ( extra Medicare premiums, losses of deductions due to AGI, AMT, etc ) were being spent relatively wisely, I would be much more tolerant of the games politicians play; but in my lifetime ( and IMHO), the waste has only gotten worse, the sense of "entitlement" greater and the willingness to sacrifice in the short-term for a better long-term life has greatly diminished.

Sounding just like my Dad ( rest his soul ); must mean I've finally graduated to curmudgeon. ;-)

Cheers!
Murph
Home Fool
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (54) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement