Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Well, my father's attorney responded via e-mail (I am astounded by lawyers who communicate!), telling me he no longer represesnts my father. So, not helpful. He suggested I could talk to my father (not an option) or see a tax professional... I've sent a note to a real estate agent locally to see if she can estimate the value of the property when my grandfather died, I guess we start there and work our way forward.

I don't see how that could have happened, since fair market value is virtually defined by the amount she could have realized upon sale. If anything, this method would tend to exaggerate the basis of your interest in the land (which was worth less than the land, because you had only a future interest), on the theory that your mother was more likely to have overpaid your father than underpaid him. --Bob
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.