No. of Recommendations: 1
well said Moggie!

My father has worked his tail off his whole life (there are 7 of us kids and my mom was a SAHM) He has a super strong work ethic and has never missed a day of work his whole life. He also always tried to LBHM. He was constantly trying to dig his way out of debt, but the one thing he always did no matter what was take a vacation with us once a year. He always told us to do this no matter what.

We never went to Disneyworld, but we always went to a lakeside resort and my most fond memories are of this place with my family and friends. None of us would trade those weeks for the world. I feel you must take time to enjoy life. Our debt paydown will take us 3 years. We will go on one guilt free vacation a year for the irreplaceable memories. They may only be a weekend at a family members house, or camping or something shorter and smaller than we'd like, but we'll go and have a blast.

We choose to do that and if it takes 4 years to pay off the debt then so be it. It is worth it to us. I think LBYM and debt paydown cannot consume your life. As long as we are housed, fed, and clothed.... we will have a break once a year!!!!!!!!

wickwise
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement