No. of Recommendations: 4
Well, sure, they wouldn't say anything like that. It's like you were looking for them to explictly say that you had to be a human being to open an account--and since they didn't say anything about it you assumed that you, a human being, weren't qualified. Or like, "Is a female allowed to open a ROTH?" They don't say a female is allowed to, so you assume she isn't allowed to?

No, my assumption was that I couldn't because I didn't have a job coupled with the fact that there's no point in opening an account to which you're not going to contribute. Never really gave a Roth much thought after I left the work force in 2001 and even now am not convinced that it's that good an idea for me since it has never been our goal to fund our kids' retirements by leaving them a large estate. Avoid becoming a burden, yes. Leave them enormous sums of money, no. We paid for their college. Overall, they're doing better than we were at their age. We financed the tools, let 'em fund their own retirements. As for our grandkids, we'll help with college, if necessary, or indulge them in some way, but we're not about dump large sums of money in their laps, either. Of course, we could always do a charitable remainder trust for an organization we support for part or all of the proceeds we leave behind.

There really wasn't any need to be snarky about it. I misunderstood something. You corrected that misunderstanding. I thanked you for it.

Churchy
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement