Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: RainyDayWoman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 193094  
Subject: Well that was exciting Date: 1/5/2013 3:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Right at midnight, while I was in bed and wondering if I ever might fall asleep, the bed started jiggling. I sat up and looked to see if the dog had decided to make the bed her personal trampoline. Then we had rumbling, the bed started bouncing and the housed started bouncing and making creaking noises and the hair on my neck stood up. Earthquake.

Then we had a dozen or so big jolty motions. It felt and sounded kind of like I was sitting on a washing machine that had gotten out of balance.

Then it faded to nothing and I was sitting wide awake saying "Holy Sh!t!"

I got up and looked on my computer, and first they said it was a 7.7 about 200 miles south of here. (This morning they're saying 7.5.) Sure enough there was a Tsunami warning for coastal areas. Juneau was not specifically mentioned but was in the warning area map. Then the local radio did the emergency broadcast thing and said "go to higher ground". Well shoot, Juneau has a lot of big islands between us and the open ocean, so it's not likely, but my house is not that far from the shore and not that high above sea level. And I spent a lot of time last year watching Japan Tsunami video.... So I got dressed, threw a few things in my pockets, and took the dog for a walk up to a higher neighborhood. (She thought a midnight walk was wonderful, and truthfully it was quite lovely.) By the time we got home the Tsunami warning was canceled for my part of the coastline.

Whew. After I went back to bed I spent an hour or two thinking about how I used to have a "Go bag" for emergencies, but haven't done that for a few years. I need to do that.

RDW
*just fine, no damage
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement