UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 748876  
Subject: Well the bird is on Date: 11/22/2012 7:47 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
The stuffing is made, just traditional butter, onions, celery (OK sesame seeds and romano cheese may not be traditional)

The bird is in the oven

The yams are all fried up and waiting to be reheated in the oven -- just par-boil them, then slice them and fry them in butter, then reheat them

String beans are all prepared, I am going to serve them with a lite brown sauce

Broccoli is all cut and ready just to steam

Mashed potato? I married Irish, I can do everything else, and typically keep my wife from the kitchen, but I do not touch the potatoes!

Apple pies and crumb apple pies are ready to go (my daughter and her friends baked up a storm last night -- I bought 26 apples, I wanted to have some for the week, my daughter told her boyfriend to peel, being a smart kid, he did what he was told) They had lots of apple leftover, so we got all kinds of apple treats -- I know I woke at 4:30 and the group was still cooking, gotta tell ya the smell of baked apple goods is a nice smell to sleep to

Anyway, a Happy Thanksgiving to all

Oh yeah, and the Tomato sauce is done, made two batches, we put out some pasta for the vegetarians made with a meatless sherry sauce -- and then meat Meatballs, and good sausage from the Italian store plus some pork and beef cooked in the sauce

Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we diet
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656499 of 748876
Subject: Re: Well the bird is on Date: 11/22/2012 8:24 AM
Recommendations: 0
Sounds wonderful. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

http://dishnthat-keybored.blogspot.com/2007_11_01_archive.ht...

arrete - what is this brown sauce for the beans that you speak of?

Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656505 of 748876
Subject: Re: Well the bird is on Date: 11/22/2012 9:06 AM
Apple pies and crumb apple pies are ready to go (my daughter and her friends baked up a storm last night -- I bought 26 apples, I wanted to have some for the week, my daughter told her boyfriend to peel, being a smart kid, he did what he was told) They had lots of apple leftover, so we got all kinds of apple treats -- I know I woke at 4:30 and the group was still cooking, gotta tell ya the smell of baked apple goods is a nice smell to sleep to

Anyway, a Happy Thanksgiving to all

Oh yeah, and the Tomato sauce is done, made two batches, we put out some pasta for the vegetarians made with a meatless sherry sauce -- and then meat Meatballs, and good sausage from the Italian store plus some pork and beef cooked in the sauce

Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we diet.

lowstudent

Holy smokes. There must be some Italian-Americans involved in your place. Sounds to me like you'll be waddling, not walking after that feast. IMHO, meat sauce is the way to go with pasta. Whenever I visit my sister's house and she has lasagna she makes a vegetarian lasagna. Sorry, I have to have ground beef in my lasagna so I ended up making my own lasagna with ground beef. It was great.

I'm not a pumpkin pie fan and I prefer apple or berry pies so your apple pies sound good. The crust is key to a good pie.

Got some spinach balls I have to prepare this morning for an upcoming Christmas party then I'm going running in an attempt to burn off a few calories before this afternoon's feast.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving everyone.

Mike

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656509 of 748876
Subject: Re: Well the bird is on Date: 11/22/2012 9:25 AM
The crust is key to a good pie.
----------------

DH makes the best crust. We're having pecan pie. Also winter squash with dinner - traditional.

arrete

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656511 of 748876
Subject: Re: Well the bird is on Date: 11/22/2012 9:38 AM
Recommendations: 1
arrete - what is this brown sauce for the beans that you speak of?

It's like the sauce you would use on Chinese chicken with Broccoli, except sans the Oyster Sauce

Just a cup and a half of broth with a tablespoon or so of corn starch dissolved in it, a couple of tablespoons of Soy Sauce and a shot of Sherry with a spoonful of sugar in the spirit of Mary Poppins

Just boil it let if get a little body then stir it in the beans after they've had a quick fry with a little Garlic for the bean and it is really quite tasty and a little bit different

Just because I had not made it in a while, I did this last night for my daughter and her boyfriend, over a chicken with Broccoli they liked it a lot, I could tell from the lack of leftovers -- of course they both just got home from their respective dorms, so it was not a tough audience

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656513 of 748876
Subject: Re: Well the bird is on Date: 11/22/2012 9:44 AM
"The stuffing is made, just traditional butter, onions, celery (OK sesame seeds and Romano cheese may not be traditional). The bird is in the oven." - Lowstudent

------------

I cut up our turkey like a big chicken. Only two people at the table eat meat. Mi-Ma is making broccoli-rice casserole, stuffing (vegetarian), and rolls. SIL is making baked potatoes. Bonnie is making deviled eggs and sweet potatoes. I made a Cherry'O Cream cheese pie last night and I'm baking the drumsticks and thighs off the turkey for our Thanksgiving dinner.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Not a huge fan of Christmas. For some reason I'm always glad when Christmas is over.

Art

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656514 of 748876
Subject: Re: Well the bird is on Date: 11/22/2012 9:46 AM
Holy smokes. There must be some Italian-Americans involved in your place. Sounds to me like you'll be waddling, not walking after that feast. IMHO, meat sauce is the way to go with pasta. Whenever I visit my sister's house and she has lasagna she makes a vegetarian lasagna. Sorry, I have to have ground beef in my lasagna so I ended up making my own lasagna with ground beef. It was great.

Yeah, I'm the Italian, but the Irish demand the sauce and meatballs.
No sausage meat in you lasagna? You are gypping yourself IMO, get some sausage meat with no casing, or just crush up some sausage makes lasagna so much better IMO

Yeah, on Christmas I make lasagna, and veggie excuse which tastes pretty good but ain't lasagna im my mind.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656515 of 748876
Subject: Re: Well the bird is on Date: 11/22/2012 9:49 AM
"Holy smokes. There must be some Italian-Americans involved in your place. Sounds to me like you'll be waddling, not walking after that feast. IMHO, meat sauce is the way to go with pasta. Whenever I visit my sister's house and she has lasagna she makes a vegetarian lasagna. Sorry, I have to have ground beef in my lasagna so I ended up making my own lasagna with ground beef. It was great." - Mike

When I make spaghetti sauce I have to make both with and without meat. My wife is a vegetarian and I'm not. I also prefer spaghetti with meat. When I make stir-fried vegetables I have to leave the meat out also so I just cook it on the side.

To me being a vegetarian would be a pain in the butt. Too much trouble. I like sausage and sandwich meats and hamburgers and hot dogs and pork chops and lamb and beef and chicken and turkey and duck ......

Art

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656516 of 748876
Subject: Re: Well the bird is on Date: 11/22/2012 9:54 AM
To me being a vegetarian would be a pain in the butt. Too much trouble. I like sausage and sandwich meats and hamburgers and hot dogs and pork chops and lamb and beef and chicken and turkey and duck ......

Art

To me, it is not only all the flavor and texture you have to give up, but to be a healthy vegetarian is just too much darn work, and takes too many beans.

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656517 of 748876
Subject: Re: Well the bird is on Date: 11/22/2012 10:20 AM

Art

To me, it is not only all the flavor and texture you have to give up, but to be a healthy vegetarian is just too much darn work, and takes too many beans.

When I was growing up, I can't recall my mother ever telling me that I had to stay at the dinner table until I finished that hotdog or hamburger. It was always the vegetables, and she had to say that many times throughout my childhood years. To this day, I still don't care much for vegetables.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656518 of 748876
Subject: Re: Well the bird is on Date: 11/22/2012 10:30 AM
"When I was growing up, I can't recall my mother ever telling me that I had to stay at the dinner table until I finished that hotdog or hamburger. It was always the vegetables, and she had to say that many times throughout my childhood years. To this day, I still don't care much for vegetables. "

When I was a kid, my sister and I figured out ways to make vegatables, like cooked carrots, 'disappear'.....

I never liked and still don't like cooked carrots. Raw - fine. Cooked - yuk!

and now I'll eat broccoli, well cooked....but I hated it as a kid...

I still don't like cauliflower...gives me gas......lots of it....

t

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656520 of 748876
Subject: Re: Well the bird is on Date: 11/22/2012 10:55 AM
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Not a huge fan of Christmas. For some reason I'm always glad when Christmas is over.
-------------------------------------------------
Mine too, i like the food, beer, football combo. Christmas is a pain in the ass with the presents and having something on Christmas Eve too, it's a whirlwind for me.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656521 of 748876
Subject: Re: Well the bird is on Date: 11/22/2012 11:20 AM

-------------------------------------------------
Mine too, i like the food, beer, football combo. Christmas is a pain in the ass with the presents and having something on Christmas Eve too, it's a whirlwind for me.

I am a Christmas junkie

Only excuse for making a really good over the top lasagna, love Pignolia nut cookies (the ones made with almond paste) and I get a pile of gifts for my wife and daughter that is combined taller than they are.

sure I have to deal with the relatives and being a recluse wanna be that's a bit of a pain, but for one day I can deal with it, plus they have younger kids, and I happen to like kids in general, and there is no better time than when they all have their new toys

The 26th? Back to being the grinch

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656528 of 748876
Subject: Re: Well the bird is on Date: 11/22/2012 12:23 PM
http://www.seattlepi.com/comics-and-games/fun/Bizarro/2012-1...

--fleg

Author: ascenzm Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656536 of 748876
Subject: Re: Well the bird is on Date: 11/22/2012 2:58 PM
Yeah, I'm the Italian,

lowstudent

Another Italian! Good. We Italians are going to take over the board.

Mike, 1/2 Italian.

Off to dinner.

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656768 of 748876
Subject: Re: Well the bird is on Date: 11/24/2012 8:29 PM

I bought a Dutch apple pie for the holiday from Jewel. I've enjoyed their Dutch apple pies before, but this one was a big disappointment. They just aren't making them like they used to. This one was way too heavy on the crust and way too skimpy on the apple pie filling. I guess they're cutting corners... Pffft!

So yesterday I went back and got me a pumpkin pie. Much better. Last year I was starting to think I no longer liked pumpkin -- after it being a favorite since childhood -- but this year I've changed my mind, I guess.

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 656771 of 748876
Subject: Re: Well the bird is on Date: 11/24/2012 8:37 PM
Another Italian! Good. We Italians are going to take over the board.

Mike, 1/2 Italian.

Andrew, 1/2 Italian. My Sicilian grandmother made the best spaghetti sauce I've ever tasted, bar none. And she didn't use meat in her sauce... but made the most wonderful meatballs.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement