UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1957932  
Subject: Re: The Brave New Right Date: 12/18/2001 4:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
Well, there are two problems I can see with this argument. The first is that the poll is limited to New Jersey. We don't know that New Jersey Gen-Xers are representative of the whole country.

Yes, it's entirely possible that "New Jersey" is some sort of spacially distorted political zone, and that things which are true there are simply not true anywhere else in the country. However since the composition of New Jersey's actual elected officials isn't so strangely different from many other states (having both a Republican Governor and Republican majority in the House), I'll wait for some "evidence" before I accept your theory.

Oh. Here's some of mine: You might want to scroll down to the chart at the bottom of the page, the "Partisanship of 18-29 year olds". Since Gen-Xers are 30, plus or minus 5-9 years, the chart isn't a perfect snapshot, but it does put the lie to the tripe which started this thread - that Gen-Xers are taking "a hard right turn".

http://slerp.rutgers.edu/releases/gub01.htm

There's simply no proof offered, and your only reply is "Well maybe New Jersey is different." Maybe it is. Prove it.

The second problem is that liberal doesnt always match with left or left with Democrat or Democrat with liberal. It is quite possible to be of a liberal mind and also support Republicanism with its emphasis on the individual rather than the majority.

Sure, anything is possible. Are you saying that you agree with the original poster, that Gen-Xers have taken a "hard turn to the right", but somehow so many of them are "liberal Republicans" that they can statistically skew this poll? It would be great if you would provide some evidence, even one little shard for this theory, but then it would have been great if the original poster had done the same.

Which he hasn't, and which you haven't. Look, all it takes is a little work. Which I have done, and which you haven't. So failing any "facts" to the contrary, I'll stick with my assertion.

The original theory is "wishful thinking", sometimes also known as "a pile of crap." So is your apologia in lieu of facts.

Here's a cute one (and by the way, it was a national poll, so be prepared to tell me how "the nation" is different from "the rest of the country"):

Polls about American's top priorities are also revealing. Last January, the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press surveyed Americans... While Boomers were most concerned with fixing Social Security, Gen X preferred an increase in social spending, starting with education, and then crime, the environment, and helping families with children.

http://www.horizonmag.com/9/grecian.htm

So the "hard turn to the right" is that "Gen X-ers preferred an increase in social spending.

That is an interesting "hard turn to the right", no?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Back to the Future Buffalo Wild Wings
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement